Looking into good quality for the first time.
Aug 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Draegloth

New Head-Fier
I'm considering buying headphones that cost a decent sum of money for the first time now. I was looking at HD 558s because they seem to get recommended a lot here and the open style's conferring a large sound stage seems like something I would like, especially when gaming or listening to classical music. Anyway, I don't know much about audio so I have a few questions before I go into this.

1.) This is one of the most important factors for me. How much does it leak. I've read a few threads that make it sound like it's the same with them on as off. Is it really that bad? I don't listen at a loud volume at all. I currently use Yuin PK3s (and will continue to use those for portability) and used to use the stock Apple ones, which I have heard have a significant amount of leakage. I listen at a volume so low that no one, even right next to me, could hear the sound in a quiet room. The same goes for my Yuins. Would the 558s be any different?

2.) Is the bass only lacking in sub-bass or regular bass too? I have heard some mixed feelings about the bass, and while I'm not a basshead, I would like to get a good frequency response out of my new headphones. So, would I notice a lack of bass, or any frequency for that matter?

3.) Do I need an amp or sound card to truly appreciate the quality of these headphones? I currently use onboard Realtek ALC 892 from my Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H, I don't want to spend too much money, but I will consider extending the budget up to $250 including the headphones and any other audio equipment I might need. Also, should I get an external DAC and amp, a combo of both, or an internal sound card? To my understanding, a sound card does the same thing only through PCIe instead of SPDIF or USB.

4.) Do these headphones lack in any genres of music? I like a lot of stuff ranging from metal to jazz, hip-hop to classical, and plenty of things in between.

5.) Do you guys have any suggestions of something more appropriate for my needs? Should I lower my budget in the case that it's not worth spending this much? Will I really notice a huge difference?

I have a final point to make. I have a pretty large head, so most headphones are uncomfortable, but I heard the 558s are amazingly comfortable. Don't recommend anything that might be annoying after a while.

Thanks for your time everyone, and feel free to ask me more stuff as I might have forgotten some important details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back