Looking into getting my first set of high end headphones... (kind of long)
Jun 8, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 27
If you're going to get the Senn HD280s for use with a portable then you absolutely need an amp. I have the 280s and they sound overall pretty crappy out of my portable (i.e. clean, but no bass).

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 27
The beyers are not worth $70 more then the senns. But I'm sure you can find them for less then $170... you just have to look hehe.

The senns sound good without and amp, but an amp is definetly a very audioble upgrade. I would say $200 for phones + amp would definetly beat out $200 phones when hooked up to a portable source.

Biggie.

Jun 9, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 27
5 GB---

Senn 280s and an Airhead is a nice package that should last you for a bit. The 280s are the nicest sounding closed phones that can be had for $100, and they offer excellent bass and are quite sturdy. You should definitely get a decent pair of open headphones eventually to expand your horizons, but your $200 starter kit will probably make you very happY!

The Airhead will be fine for the 280s and Grados. You may want to get the 9V model though as that can power any headphone adequately even the 300 Ohm Senn 580 & 600. However you only get 20 hrs battery life from the 9V airhead vs 40 hrs from the 4.5 V model...

I agree with Notorious that the 250s aren't worth $70 more than the 280s. Stick with your plan...

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 27
Well over here in Canada I got my 250's for $210 and my friend got his 280's for $180. So in my specific case, I would say the extra $30 canadian for the 250's was worth it. Honestly, the two phones have a similar sound, but the 250's have added bass and a bit less emphasized highs.

On a side note, I do 98% of my rap listening on speakers while for rock 80% headphones, 20% speakers. As long as my speakers thump, I could care less about their sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 27
Wow, Biggie...only 30 dollars difference...in Canadian dollars? Where abouts did you and your friend buy from? I'm from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and can't find anything here. My plan was to buy from HeadRoom, but like delenda est Sony said, the 250s cost 70 US dollars more than the 280s.

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by 5th_Ghostbuster
Wow, Biggie...only 30 dollars difference...in Canadian dollars? Where abouts did you and your friend buy from? I'm from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and can't find anything here. My plan was to buy from HeadRoom, but like delenda est Sony said, the 250s cost 70 US dollars more than the 280s.

Yes, Canadian dollars. I got mine from steve's music store (shipped in from montreal because their toronto store didn't have them in stock) and my friend got his from some place in toronto. I think they ship to anywhere in Canada... I would avoid getting headphones from the U.S. because you will have to pay taxes on it, pay high shipping costs and probably an additional $30 brokerage fee for the shippers dealing with customs (of course they don't tell you about taxes + brokerage fee until they show up at your door with the package and its like What?). Yes it all adds up
frown.gif

Biggie.

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #22 of 27
hey 5th ghostbuster:

i've heard around here that there are shipping/customs charges problems when ordering from headroom in canada. if you're willing to pay about $30 american more for that than go for it, especially since you cant get that amp in any local store.

If you want to shop locally whip out your yellow pages. start looking up places under stereo, audio, etc. phone em up and see if they carry what you want.

Thats what i did. You're going to get a lot of answers saying "gray-do headphones??? uhhh...", but a few places might be like "grado? ya we got those and a lot more you should check out".

i bought mine at a place called Sound Plus, but it only has 2 locations, both in BC.

Jun 10, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #23 of 27
All the suggestions within your budget have been fine choices.

In terms of bang-for-the-buck-on-a-limited-budget, allow me put in a plug for your buying two pairs of Koss KSC-35 earclips, one for home use, and one for portable---or one to use and one to save (just in case, since they are no longer being manufactured and may not be available forever).

Two pairs will set you back about $48 US (you can order them from Martin Tibbs, who advertises in the gear for sale forum on headwize.)

While all the other cans mentioned have definite strengths, the KSC-35 is well-balanced and terrifically musical, which is to say, you won't be analyzing the music to death all the time, just listening and enjoying the heck out of it. Since these are earclips and very lightweight, they tend to vanish on your head. Inconspicuous and comfy to wear, comes with a small carrying bag. Doesn't need an amp. Sounds good out of most any source.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

--Bill

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #24 of 27
Damn...I don't wanna have to pay that extra 30 US, or any other taxes and stuff from getting it across the border. Maybe I'll give some stores in other cities here in Canada a ring and see if they could hook me up with the Senn 280s, or if i can get them at a good price, the Beyer 250s.
Now, for an amp, I was thinking about one of these JMT or Tangent ones. I might know a little about headphones now, but for all the reading I've done, I still know NOTHING about amps.
frown.gif

It sounds like JMT makes a nice starter amp (CHA 47 or whatever is a portable one, right?), but I wouldn't know what to ask for. What sort of parts and such that I'd like him to build it with. Also, how do I connect my amp to my discman? Do I have to buy special cables? Or does one get the cable from JMT or HeadRoom (if I do in fact order an Airhead, that is)? Crossovers? What kind of voltage? What? I'm so lost...

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #25 of 27
5 GB---

just a few pointers on amps! JMT is a patient and honest fellow who will build whatever you want. Basically the CHA 47 is his simplest amp, and uses a 9V battery in an Altoid case. It has no "crossfeed"---in other words it does not mix the stereo channels at all. (Fancier amps do this; some claim that listening is more pleasant with crossfeed as it better replicates the psychoacoustical effect of natural sound--i.e. each ear hears a little bit of what the other one does. I personally like a crossfeed in a home amp like my HR Little, but I feel it is sort of a frill on a portable amp like the CHA 47.)

JMT will also build you a Cmoy amp with a crossfeed. This amp is less powerful than the CHA57, but works better with high impedance phones. JMT can play around with the power sourcing on either of these models, and can give you a box full of AAs if you want maximum power and longevity. (The CHA 47 lasts for roughly 15 hours on a 9V rechargeable NiCD battery.) He can also give you a wall wart feed, so you can use the amp at home w/o batteries. He can even build in exotic stuff like a bass boost circuit. Your best bet is to PM him and get the details yourself. In your case, a CHA 47 would be a fine inexpensive choice.

You can buy a interconnector at Rat Shack for less than $10. One end goes in the output jack of your source, the other end to the amp, which you then connect the phones to. You can spend more on interconnects but I think the cost/benefit ratio is best with Rat Shack gold plug connects. But I also buy only regular unleaded too...
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps a bit! We are technically off forum here. but I figure your amp and headphone purchase are closely linked....

wink.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 27
5th_Ghostbuster,

I agree with Flasken and Duncan about the Beyer 250-80. Great set of cans. Todd from Headroom recommended them to me for some late night gaming. At the time I had a newborn and I did not want to disturb the baby or my wife. That was almost 2 years ago. I am a proud owner of the 250-80. Great construction. I flew to NYC for the Hi-fi show and slammed the Beyers into my backpack, no problem. My son has dragged the Beyers around the condo and they still work perfectly. The cord can be replaced with a couple of turns of a screwdriver. The isolation is great, not to the level of Etys (but what is?). On the plane I did hear the engines, but I did not have to crank my Discman to obscene levels to enjoy my music. The velour pads are very comfortable, the only drawback is they may make your ears warm after extended listening (1 1/2hours).

As for the sound... Great bass not as low as the vaunted Sony V6, but not as boomy IMHO. Not as punchy as my 325s, but just right for the music you listen to. Massive Attack's Angel is a great track to listen to with the Beyers. They tend to be on the warmer side of things. That's not bad, just different. Even though you can drive these cans with your portable, an amp brings the 250-80 to another level. I have 3 JMT built CHA47s, a TA, and other amps. The bass becomes tighter, the highs more detailed and crisp.

The Beyers will be more expensive, but they will grow with your new found hobby (upgrade-itis - new amps and sources). These are great home cans that can be taken on the road (though they are not necessarily portable).

You can't go wrong with the other cans mentioned. I highly recommend the Beyer 250-80.

Regards - reynman

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 27
Here's my $0.02 worth:

For $200 from Headroom you can purchase the Airhead amp AND the Etymotic ER6 ear canal headphones. This combination was a total awakening for me. Wow!

I have now purchased the Total Airhead and the Etymotic ER4S phones and there is an improvement, but at a much higher cost. For portable use I think the Airhead and ER6 was a great combination. However, once you hear "good" you want "better". Even if you upgrade in the future, I think you'll still enjoy your airhead and er6 for portable use.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back