Looking intelligent
Sep 15, 2016 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I just watched the movie Being There. It's about a borderline mentally dumb man who dresses proper and has proper manners. As a result, people think he's intelligent and sophisticated. While this movie is an exaggeration, I do believe there is truth to this psychology.

For example, I am not smart and failed high school and college numerous times. However, last week, I was wearing a proper button down shirt with proper leather shoes and spoke eloquently to this guy. During the conversation, he thought I was an engineer as he misinterpreted my non intelligent babbling.

My cousin is married to a highly respected business man who earns a lot of money. She's an idiot actually but she knows how to speak properly and dresses proper too in social settings. Many people think she's much smarter than she really is.

My point is that I do think that if you can dress proper, speak eloquently, maintain a reasonable healthy weight and you are in the right places, people in casual settings could actually think you are highly intelligent even if you are kind of slow in learning.

I'm not saying this is bad or good but I believe there can be some truth to the idea of that movie.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 11
I just watched the movie Being There. It's about a borderline mentally dumb man who dresses proper and has proper manners. As a result, people think he's intelligent and sophisticated. While this movie is an exaggeration, I do believe there is truth to this psychology.

For example, I am not smart and failed high school and college numerous times. However, last week, I was wearing a proper button down shirt with proper leather shoes and spoke eloquently to this guy. During the conversation, he thought I was an engineer as he misinterpreted my non intelligent babbling.

My cousin is married to a highly respected business man who earns a lot of money. She's an idiot actually but she knows how to speak properly and dresses proper too in social settings. Many people think she's much smarter than she really is.

My point is that I do think that if you can dress proper, speak eloquently, maintain a reasonable healthy weight and you are in the right places, people in casual settings could actually think you are highly intelligent even if you are kind of slow in learning.

I'm not saying this is bad or good but I believe there can be some truth to the idea of that movie.

The inverse is also true. I am not the smartest person in the world, but I'm no slouch. I have a friend who is every bit as smart (and lazy) as me, but he doesn't care at all how he looks. If you saw him you might not think much about him, but he happens to be one of the smartest and most levelheaded people I know.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 11
I agree. I believe you could have a guy who is as smart as Einstein but shops at Walmart and wear Walmart clothes and look like Homer Simpson. I used to have a great physics teacher who was kind of like that.

Also, in the prison system, it is known where you could have a guy who was known to be a genius but made some mistakes in his life and is now an inmate.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 11
Look up what Commander Joseph Rochefort looked like and how smart he is. Then compare him to the average and predictable commander, kind of like Admiral Nagumo Chuichi. Or compare General Orde Wingate's disgraceful facial hair to General Arthur Percival trying to look dignified in front of General Yama****a Tomoyuki. 

But then again, there's General George S. Patton. Sharply dressed all the time right down to his fancy pistol and staff (not sure if it was a riding crop all the time because, obviously, it's not like he was a Knight or Samurai riding around on a horse, but he usually brandished some kind of discipline stick).

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Although I am not trying to get into politics, some people compared this movie to how dumb politicians got into power in past history.

In some ways I kind of agree, if you are kind of dumb but you are in the right places and dress smart and have the right mannerisms, it is possible to B.S. your way into power.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Speaking of intelligent, I'm so bright my mother calls me sun.....   
wink_face.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 11
I would consider that a slur on 'ribs' character........  
blink.gif

Down-to-earth, homespun, practical and realistic most assuredly, but to brand someone an intellectual is to say they're educated beyond their intelligence......  
confused_face_2.gif

Next worst thing to being an academic - the reason why the Peter Principle is so rife in society and industry.   
blink.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Wasn't the movie "The Talented Mr. Ripley" along a similar line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back