Looking help for my first Headphones
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

samsagaz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i want to spend no more than 200-250USD in my first headphones.

i was checking partsepress for models/prices, and i found the following

57USD - Sennheiser HD 435 Full-Size Supraural Headphones
67USD - AKG K 99 Semi-Open Circumaural Headphones
91USD - Sennheiser HD 485 Full-Size Circumaural Headphones
99USD - Sennheiser HD 515 Full-Size Circumaural Headphones
150USD - Sennheiser HD 555 Full-Size Circumaural Headphones
245USD - Sennheiser HD 595 Full-Size Circumaural Headphones

wich you recommend me? i want an open headphone, to listen it with an Amplifier at Home.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 17
What sound card or source will you be plugging these headphones into?

What kinds of music will you be listening to?

Are these headphones for other uses too like movies or gaming?

Also, try describing the type of sound you want from your headphones. Reading this forum should give you plenty of information about how different headphones sound.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 17
Onkyo Sound Card.
Jazz, Reggae, Latin
Just Music.

well, i want just natural sound
smily_headphones1.gif
the instrument that i more like are the wind ones, like trumphet.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by samsagaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see that exist a lot of brands but... wich to choice
biggrin.gif

They all make some good ones and some bad ones. If you look around Head-Fi you'll find which models are generally liked/disliked and why, which can help you figure out which headphones are best for you.

With those music genres... hm... maybe look into Grado SR225s? They're really a love/hate pair, you would have to read more about them.

I'll admit, though, I'm not overly familliar with Reggae or Latin.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 17
i have the hd555's and i love them lots, got them for about $80 on amazon a while ago. i have heard good things about a lot of the grados as well, particularly the sr225's, also lots of good things about the alessandro ms-1's (i think thats what they were) which were relatively inexpencive as well... around $100. you dont need to spend too much for a good pair, but you can easily spend lots if you really get into it. find a hi-fi shop in your area and see if you can try some of them out and choose you're favorite.

edit: the 555's are best for home use, which it seems like you'll be using them for, since they're open they leak sound like crazy, as is the case with almost all open cans

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 17
I bought the 225is about 3 months ago. Really like the sound signature with everything from rock to jazz but find them a little bit fatiguing. I bought some Audio Technica ATH ESW9s about 6 weeks ago. I really like these phones. As much as I like the 225is, if I had to choose one it would be the ESW9s. People have described the mid range as lush with punchy bass. I would agree on both counts. These are also a closed headphone so you get a little bit more flexibility. A couple of months back, you could get these on Amazon from Beach Camera for $229. Not sure where you could audition these though. Maybe look for one of the head phone meets for that.

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by samsagaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that will purchase the HD555s, what abt the diference betweeen hd555s, and hd595s?

I have owned both at different times and with different inexpensive equipment. I was much more impressed with the HD595. I actually miss those headphones. I enjoyed it most with jazz. I do not recommend the HD555 over the HD595, especially for jazz.

There are a lot of posts and threads comparing the HD555 and HD595, but you'd have to search and read to make use of them.

I've been listening to a modified Creative Aurvana Live!, CAL!, with rock music from a cheap sound card for about an hour now, and it's sounding pretty good. There's no way I would trade it for the HD555 or HD595 for listening to rock music. But for jazz, I am pretty sure I would prefer the HD595.

$200 - $250 is a good size budget for buying headphones. Of those headphones you have listed, I would get the HD595.

FWIR, the ESW9 may work well for you. I think I saw it selling for $150 or so, but you have to be careful not to buy a fake one. Search "ESW9".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back