Looking headphones that will shine using iPhone jack only-cost no object.
Sep 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

soundandvision

New Head-Fier
Hello

I hope the collective can help.
As the title says I'm looking for headphones that will shine using iPhone jack only. Cost is no object.

The nature of my life will not allow for any live demos or the ability to return or sell things I don't like.
While I'm not opposed to spending the $ for the right set I'd like to avoid adding to my vast museum of stuff.

I know its sacrilege to listen to high end headphones without a dac/amp but for this application its just not possible.

Style/design-over the ear, closed back with good to high isolation and comfortable for a largish head. Does NOT have to be portable. 

Sonic qualities-Balanced without sounding dry, high res without being harsh, lush silky miss, deep tight bass with no mid bass boom and a big but not ridiculous sound stage. Basically I want it all :wink:
If it helps I love the sound of my Wisdom Audio Sage system. 

I listen to just about everything with the exception of modern country, gangster rap, easy listening and audiophile recordings of bad music. 

I look forward to your comments.

TL

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 6
I would suggest sennhiser hd598 there excellent cans with great sound stage and very realistic acoustics and very balanced sound they have a low Ohm rating so an iPhone should work great :).

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 6
I would suggest sennhiser hd598 there excellent cans with great sound stage and very realistic acoustics and very balanced sound they have a low Ohm rating so an iPhone should work great
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the response and recommendation.
I've read several positive reviews of the HD598. They're inexpensive enough the investment to check them out is minimal. I have a set of HD580 somewhere from the early 90's that I allways liked. Now retired as the right channel has what sound like mechanical distortion.

Currently listening to ATH-M40x through my Macbook Air using Jriver through the built in jack. They're brand new but 1st impressions are that they sound nice. Given the low cost they appear to be a somewhat of a bargain. As good as they sound I know there is better. 

The EL-8 Closed-Back look interesting. The cost-about $1,000 to get them in my hands is reasonable and I'm sure even if they don't work well with the iPhone I could use them elsewhere.  

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 6
You also have the option of getting some really good audiophile cans with a pocket amp such as hd700 or 800 but then again there not too cheap but you might find a bargain in the classifieds.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you for the recommendations. 

Quote:
You also have the option of getting some really good audiophile cans with a pocket amp such as hd700 or 800 but then again there not too cheap but you might find a bargain in the classifieds.

I wish I could even something like a little FiiO. For this application it's just not an option. 

I haven't actually listened to them myself yet, but the Oppo PM-3 seem very close to what you are looking for.

Yes I agree from the reviews the PM-3 are certainly gems. Only reservation I have is most have mentioned that connected directly to the iPhone appears to produce a mismatch. In any case I'm going to order a pr to check them out. I have a pr. of vintage Stax Lambda's. I know things have come a long way since then but I still enjoy them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back