Looking for YNAIR - Yet another IEM Recommendation
Apr 14, 2017 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pryxmus

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

My first post here and I'll try my best to get everything right :wink:

A couple of years ago I got my first decent pair of headphone, the ATH-M50 at RadioShack in New York City. More or less by accident, because I chose them without reading any reviews. I just wanted to get some headphones with a good sound. It took a while for to really be able to appreciate how well they performed.

Recently I stepped up my (portable) game by getting an Oppo HA-2.

Since I'm traveling a lot I use it mainly with my MDR-1000X, which is imho a pretty awesome combination for a portable NC rig. However the Sony's are mainly made for stationary use, they're made for long commutes or sitting in noisy areas but not really for walking the streets and also not for sleeping on a train, plane, car, bus. I used to have Sony MDR-EX650 but they where in my backpack, when it got stolen a couple of weeks ago and this is why I've been looking into IEMs recently and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. The price is secondary to me as long as it's below ~300€/USD.

I've been considering these options so far and I'd love to hear your opinion:

Shure SE215
+ Cheap
+ great mids
+ detachable cable
- bass heavy (compared to 
- not so much separation, clarity

Shure SE425
+ analytical
+ emphasized mids
+ great clarity

+ detachable cable
- treble
- lacking bass according to some reviewers

RHA MA750i
+ price
+ inline mic
- somewhat bass heavy (not as much as the SE215 though)
- no detachable cable

Besides the SQ the detachable cable of the Shure's is a huge plus for me!

I'm leaning more towards the 425s because I feel like I'd enjoy the analytical sound however I'm a bit put off by some reviews saying they were prepared for an analytical listening experience but still feel like they don't have enough bass.

My no means I'm looking for lots of bass, I just want enough in order to feel it and a good bass resolution. The EX650 were way too bass heavy for my taste when used with the HA-2, when driven straight by my phone it was okay, but the DAC Samsung is using their flagship phone is not all that great imho.

I like the MDR-1000X sound signature, which I'd describe as somewhat warm, clean, V-shaped, however overall pretty balanced however I'm considering something  I know you can hardly compare full sized ANC cans to IEMs but in the end it's about how these things sound and maybe someone can help me a little bit by comparing the ATH-M50's, MDR-1000X and MDR-EX650's sound signature to the Shure 425's? :D

My sources:
Galaxy S7 Edge
with Tidal HiFi
via Oppo HA-2

Macbook Pro
Tidal HiFi
Oppo HA-2

Music:
Jazz, Swing
Classical
Indie Blues Rock(The Kills, Black Keys etc.)
some other stuff

I'm really looking forward to reading your opinions :)

Thanks guys and happy easter! :)

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 7
The SE425 is nice. You might also check out the RHA T20. It's a step up or two from the MA750, IMHO. You might read about it and see what you think. 3 year warranty, which mitigates the cable issue somewhat. It's possible it could work for you. There is also the Campfire Audio Orion, which is outstanding (a bit over budget, but not too terribly much). You might want to read about it, too, and see what you think. It might work, too.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi @serman005

Thanks for these two recommendations!

The T20s look pretty good and reviews seem to be pretty good.

I just got the SE215 for a week from a friend and overall I find them pretty good for 100$ IEMs but imho they're lacking resolution and clarity (they sound a bit dark). Now I read that the T20 have a pretty "dark and warm" sound signature.

Do you think the SE215 and the T20 are sound-wise comparable in any way?

Thank you!

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 7
  Hi @serman005

I just got the SE215 for a week from a friend and overall I find them pretty good for 100$ IEMs but imho they're lacking resolution and clarity (they sound a bit dark). Now I read that the T20 have a pretty "dark and warm" sound signature.

Thank you!

No, not really. The T20 is significantly more detailed and resolving than the SE215, IMHO. The SE215 has a huge rolloff in the treble that is clearly audible and that contributes to this dark signature people sometimes describe. I think the T20 is at another level, personally.

May 24, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 7
No, not really. The T20 is significantly more detailed and resolving than the SE215, IMHO. The SE215 has a huge rolloff in the treble that is clearly audible and that contributes to this dark signature people sometimes describe. I think the T20 is at another level, personally.
Well I would imagine the T20s being at an another level considering the price difference.

May 24, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi @serman005

Thank you!
If you are still considering the Shure SE425, then I will just say that they sound buttery smooth with the correct tips and seal. However there is treble roll off and the bass is very punchy, but doesn't extend too deep. It's very clear sounding and amplification isn't really needed, but it will come alive if you do amplify it. It's also built like a tank, so you shouldn't worry about them breaking any time soon.

May 24, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Now I read that the T20 have a pretty "dark and warm" sound signature.

The T20 are dark and warm? I'm not sure where you heard that but from every description I've seen and from my own personal experience I would say they are more of a v shape than dark and warm...

I'm leaning more towards the 425s because I feel like I'd enjoy the analytical sound however I'm a bit put off by some reviews saying they were prepared for an analytical listening experience but still feel like they don't have enough bass.

The SE425 don't have no bass, they are a little lacking compared to other picks but I think if you are looking for a more balanced sound, they are a good pick. Unless you are a basshead I don't think you would mind the slight lack of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back