Looking for wireless rig
Jul 19, 2001 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

neil

500+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in finding a nice wireless system, but I want to use my Grados (or any headphone for that matter). Is there any type of wireless system out there that you've heard of, or have experience with that will allow me to carry around VERY LITTLE (maybe just the receiver a little volume nob).

But shoot, the more I think about it, I need some type of amp to drive my phones -- am I just better off looking at the specialized wireless phones (like the Senns I saw someone posting about a while back)? If so -- I'd like to hear from anyone who HAS a pair and what they think.

I'm here @ the office working, and if I want to get a cup of coffee, I'd like to still be able to hear my music without having to pause/stop, etc.

Jul 20, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Yea, there is, but I forget what it's called....

frown.gif

Jul 20, 2001 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 7
i just keep a small CDP or MD in my pocket when i need to move around. Most new ones are so small and light you won't notice it (and probably sounds better and costs less than wireless)

I've never owned wireless headphones, but most mass-market ones look like crap. I'm guessing the speciallized products from SEnnheiser, AKG, Koss, (not sony) are better, but they are very expensive. THe Grado-freesystems combo looks very nice, but you'll still have to carry around a large amp

Jul 20, 2001 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Ugh, wireless quality ain't all it could be dude. Even those $300 sennies leave something to be desired... alot of somethings.
frown.gif
The Sonys, I haven't heard the 5100 but the 5000 was... just... bad.

You might consider importing your own AKG wireless system, just lock it up real quick if you see any grey step-vans in the parking lot with guys that look very governmenty... FCC fines aren't cheap. Course all this depends on if you like that AKG sound.

Your best bet would be to get a professional musicians wireless system, but none of them are cheap. You can spend 4k easy. But frequency selectable, power selectable, you own cans, what have you.

My original MP3 system was a laptop in a backpack with an RS-8 senny transmitter adapted to power off a battery pack... it worked great, but the sound is what the sound is.

I was considering a DIY implementation, but y'know what? If I gotta have a receiver/amp pack and wired headphones going to the pack... it's just not worth it for me. Just carry a portable CDP and amp on your hip... walk whereever you want to go... wireless? No. But very mobile.
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2001 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Okedoke. Sounds like the verdict is in. I just need to get a nice portable CDP with anti-skip, a waist pouch (so I look like a tourist at Disneyland). Thanks for your input guys.

Jul 20, 2001 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I don't know anythign about minidiscs as I don't really use them, I'm just waiting to get a burner, CDs sound better anyway. But what I was going to say is that if you want small, go for the minidisc player, I was at Circuit City the other day, and while I was trying to dodge the salesman trying to sell me a set of Bose speakers (that I already own actually...long story) I was looking at MD players and they are REALLY $@#% SMALL, wow, they're no bigger than the discs, so you wouldn't need a pouch or anything. Something else that works well, if you wear them at all, is cargo pants, with a long headphone cord, a CDP fits nicely and my sony can even survive walking around without the skip-protection on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back