Looking for winamp asio/kernel streaming plugins
Jun 6, 2004 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sporky

Head-Fier
I can't seem to find these for winamp v2.xx. I did get a kernel streaming .dll file, but it results in no sound at all on my Audiophile USB. I'd use foobar, but there's a DSP plugin for winamp called Enhancer that I really like.

thanks.

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 14
Winamp ASIO is here:

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(dll).html

version 5 plugin works for 2 also

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Winamp ASIO is here:

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(dll).html

version 5 plugin works for 2 also

Thanks. How can I find out which version (SSE, SSE2 ect...) will work best with my system?

Edit: WOW, I tried it and it sounds much better. I'd preffer to use kernel streaming though, since I can't resample up to 96kHz with asio on the Audiophile USB.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 14
You need to use the one which matches with your CPU.

PIII, Athlon use SSE
Pentium 4 use SSE2.

I've never ran accross an upsampling + kernel streaming plugin for winamp. The one that I've used doesn't even have a configuration screen.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 14
How would you recommend I configure it? Right now I'm using maximum buffering, normal priorities, up sampling to 48k, and top quality.

Edit: Alright, this is odd. I disabled the Audiophiles as my default sound device, but I still get pauses in the music while I'm web browsing with Opera. Is it a problem with the system reasources that ASIO output consumes? Or perhaps its because I lowered the thread priority.

Jun 13, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
You need to use the one which matches with your CPU.

PIII, Athlon use SSE
Pentium 4 use SSE2.

Clarification:

There is also SSE3, which at present only the Prescott-core (e.g. 3.0E, 2.4A) P4's use. (Willamette- and Northwood-core P4's use SSE2.)

And not all Athlons use SSE: Only the Athlon XP's (Palomino, Thoroughbred and Barton/Thorton cores) use SSE. The new Athlon64's use SSE2. And the non-XP 32-bit Athlons (Thunderbird core) use Normal.

And, of course, a CPU that supports MMX is required in order to use these ASIO plug-ins.

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 14
If you go to the intel site you can download a handy-dandy little processor utility which will tell you which SSE technologies your CPU supports (if you have an intel processor...).

Which SSE is the best by the by?

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by indecent chords
If you go to the intel site you can download a handy-dandy little processor utility which will tell you which SSE technologies your CPU supports (if you have an intel processor...).

Which SSE is the best by the by?

Each one just adds additional optimizations, so the bigger the better (though it takes a couple years for most software to begin to take advantage of new instruction sets). A chip that supports some "number" of SSE also supports all previous, so the Prescott supports SSE 3/2/1, etc.

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
How do you install it? Change the file extension from .7z (whatever that is) to .dll?

Noo!
smily_headphones1.gif
Go to 7-zip.org and download the archiving prog. Use that to extract the relevant dll.

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sporky
Thanks. How can I find out which version (SSE, SSE2 ect...) will work best with my system?

Edit: WOW, I tried it and it sounds much better. I'd preffer to use kernel streaming though, since I can't resample up to 96kHz with asio on the Audiophile USB.

Just wondering sporky why do you need to resample the output?
About the pauses - can you increase the ouput buffer in your m-audio control panel (I have mine set to 2688, the maximum). You only need a low latency if you are doing recording etc.

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
Noo!
smily_headphones1.gif
Go to 7-zip.org and download the archiving prog. Use that to extract the relevant dll.

<sigh> As if we need yet another compression application in the world. Well, thanks for the tip. I've got the .dll installed.

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 14
WinRAR can extract them as well - probably the most useful app for archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back