Looking for westone 3 replacement tips
Oct 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

riot507

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I lost my favorite tips for my westone 3s (mid size olives) and was wondering where to get replacement tips for them online. This was also a chance for me to start thinking about some um-56s. Opinions seem to vary but I'm thinking about taking the plunge. Anyone know of a cheap place to get impressions in the Bay Area? Also, after you get the impressions, where does everyone get the tips from? Directly from Westone? I work in San Francisco and live in Berkeley and also frequent San Jose so anywhere in the Bay would be great. San Francisco would probably be the best though.
Thanks in advance!
Anthony

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 11
I think you should google search this. Any hearing aid place will probably do ear molds for you, so there should be some in your area. Good luck!

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Sweet. I just yelped one. Is there an online retailer for regular westone olive tips?

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 11
Oct 21, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 11
I'd recently gotten custom tips for my Westone 3's, but they aren't the UM56's though. For the life of me I couldn't find a local Westone dealer in my area. My moulds were $80 cnd, and the tips were $150 cnd. So I spent $230 Canadian for my tips. I ended up taking a chance on ordering custom tips through the audiologist where I'd gotten my moulds made.

Luckily their supplier was willing to give it a go in making custom tips, and I had to send them my beloved Westones, along with my moulds. It took them exactly one week to make the silicon custom tips.

I must say that I really, really like these custom tips. I enjoy the sound, and the fit is great. The one thing though, I'm not a fan of bass, and I noticed that there is a lot of bass now. It's not a bloated bass. There's still a lot of detail in the bass, but it is slightly more impactful now. But that's fine, I'm happy with my investment.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've been using the Comply foam tips as my large canals needed the seal that the foams gave. And I'm a big fan of the Comply tips.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMASCII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recently gotten custom tips for my Westone 3's, but they aren't the UM56's though.

Interesting, I wonder whether the customs that mold over the driver housing themselves fit better than UM56s. I have the UM56s and havent gotten a good fit after sending them back 3 times--I'm currently awaiting one more refit after new impressions were taken. The left tip would pop out a little bit when I turned my head to the right or opened my jaw (to eat or yawn) and the right was too short to fully seal. I seem to be one of the few with these problems, though.

As for the best isolating tips, I find the tri/bi-flange silicons to be the most sealing. You're just plugging up your ears with so much mass. However, because of the great seal with these, I can also hear myself walk and breathe much more loudly! Not always pleasant, but they're great for plane flights.

IMO, the rest of the tips that I've tried in order of decreasing seal are: Complys, Shure black foam olives, silicone flex tips, and yellow foams.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 11
dj nellie: The customs I have are very snug and tight over the barrel of the Westone's. I suspect they'll eventually become worn, but they're not going to pop off or become loose anytime soon. They're snug like the Comply's.

As for fit, whomever made mine did a very good job. But then I tend to remove mine when my mouth is doing something. I hate hearing myself chew.

FeedMeTrance: As for isolation? The customs I have are about equivalent to the Comply foams. If there's no music playing you can still hear things, allbeit very muffled. These are only custom tips though, and not full customs. I don't how a full custom isolates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back