Looking for well-balanced closed headphones with an inline button (up to $150).
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oryan_dunn

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using my Philips Fidelio L1's at home, and I really like how they sound.  I want to get a closed back pair for work to use with my smartphone or a PC with the onboard soundcard.  I was considering the Fidelio M1's,  but a few reviews have me thinking otherwise.  I can get them for ~$75.  I auditioned the M50x at Sweetwater, and I really like the sound, but it doesn't have the button.  I emailed Audio Technica, and they said they'd consider adding it to the short straight cable.  It'd be nice if they made one you could buy as an accessory.  I also auditioned the MDR-7506, and it had a different sound that I liked as well, and it was easily driven by my smartphone.  But like many other monitors, it has a non-detachable coil cable with no button.  I've read reviews of the MDR-1R, and it seems like that would be good, but it's a bit over my price range.  Are there any other closed headphones with a relatively flat sound with an inline button?

I should note, my current pair of closed headphones I'm using at work are the Sennheiser HD 202 II, and I used to think they sounded good.  After becoming used to my L1s, the HD 202 have a ton of bass and recessed mids and highs.  I'm currently using some EQ software to make them sound a bit more lively, but I want to get a new pair since I listen to music quite often and for long periods of time at work.

I'm watching with interest the thread on the new Monoprice USB DAC/headphone amp.  That would be perfect for use at my desk, as I could use it with my PC or with the analog out from my phone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723254/monoprice-desktop-headphone-amplifier-11567

I appreciate the experts input.

Ryan

Ps. Eagle eyes will note this is my 2nd post, and I joined 10yrs ago.  Kinda crazy.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 10
I'll take a closer look, but it seems from what I remember reading, it was a bass heavy headphone, but perhaps that is an incorrect assessment. 

I should have listed what I listen to... classic rock, classical, some top forty pop, 80's rock, some edm, basically a bit of everything.  I find it annoying when it sounds like I'm listening to music through a bed comforter and the mids and highs are muffled.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 10
I'll take a closer look, but it seems from what I remember reading, it was a bass heavy headphone, but perhaps that is an incorrect assessment. 

I should have listed what I listen to... classic rock, classical, some top forty pop, 80's rock, some edm, basically a bit of everything.  I find it annoying when it sounds like I'm listening to music through a bed comforter and the mids and highs are muffled.

The UE6000 does sound a bit warm, but it's not a basshead headphone. Clarity is quite good, but it may sound a bit closed in(less airy) for classical. Take a look at the UE6000 / UE9000 review over at Innerfidelity.com.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 10
The UE6000 does sound a bit warm, but it's not a basshead headphone. Clarity is quite good, but it may sound a bit closed in(less airy) for classical. Take a look at the UE6000 / UE9000 review over at Innerfidelity.com.

After looking into that headset a bit more, I don't think it's for me, but thanks for the suggestion anyways.

I'm considering relaxing the button requirement.  If I do that, then it opens up quite a few more headphones.  Of the sets that match my other requirements, the ATH-M40x seem to be the best, and I have a store where I can try them out locally (sweetwater).  If I were to get the ATH-M40x, I was thinking I could mod one of the cables and add a 3.5mm female jack, creating a short pigtail, and then using any of the 3.5mm-3.5mm cables with inline buttons.  It really is a shame Audio Technica doesn't offer a short 1m cable with a mic/button for the M50x/M40x.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 10

Cross off the martin logan mikros 90 (its basslight)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back