looking for ways to enhance my headphones...
Mar 17, 2018 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Friendly

Head-Fier
I'm posting to find out what I can buy to enhance the sound of my current headphone collection.

my small menagerie consists of:
Stax SRS-2170's
HiFiMan HE-350's (Massdrop)
HiFiMan HE-4xx's (Massdrop)

These are used with a Dragonfly Red DAC and Jitterbug filter

I have read that changing the pad's on headphones can make significant differences, so interested in suggestions on what I can consider. I'm not so certain of the gains I would/could get with upgrading my headphone cables, but am willing to be open minded enough to be educated that there are gains to be had...but wary enough not to drink koolaid that makes you think you need to buy cables that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. :upside_down:

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I consider buying new DAC/AMP, possibly, ifi micro dsd BL or if that costs too much, ifi nano idsd BL is good already.

No need to buy upgrade cable for now, I believe.

Yes, changing the pad does change the sound... but I can't confirm it will improve SQ. I believe the original pad should be the best matching already. I will change the pad when the pad is in bad condition already

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 5
just bought the DAC and filter today...they're very well regarded and I am quite impressed with how much clearer the sound is on my HE-4xx's.

I was considering getting a Schiit Stack or something from Mayflower, but happened upon a 35% off sale on the AudioQuest gear, so went with that. :)

all that aside, if I wanted longer cables, what would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back