Looking for warm tube amp for 800S
Sep 17, 2021 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got elekit tu8600S and I love the amp but I'd like to try something that is a lot thicker and warmer. Don't want to spend too much, ideally under $1000. So far people have been telling me to just grab a crack. Also I hear Elise is pretty warm too.

Any thoughts ? Thx

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you tried tube rolling on the tu8600?

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 10
Have you tried tube rolling on the tu8600?

Not yet. This is what I have: COSSOR Black Plate 300B, Western Electric ECC83/B759, RCA 12AU7

I was told by guys on the SV discord that no matter what you roll you wont get a very rich, warm sound out of elekit and that it would be better to get an OTL amp like a crack.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Fair enough. Typically RCAs are quite warm, if not bloomy. Mullard tubes are also known for having a rich warm sound, but if other owners are telling you tubes have little impact on the overall sound, then I'd be in the market for a different amp.

The Glenn OTL is quite transparent and will convey the nature of any given tube quite well. Unfortunately I do not believe Glenn is currently building amps, but dont quote me on that.

The previous OTL I had was a La Figaro 339 and that was quite warm. However IIRC other owners were not fond of its pairing with the HD800. I would read up on the 339 as its been several years since I had it and I could be mistaken.

Personally I'd ask in the HD800 thread for OTL suggestions.

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 10
The non speedball crack is an inexpensive and lush option. You could upgrade the capacitors to a warm Mundorf set as well. Bottlehead power cord is a nice add on as well. Thick and warm.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 10
What about bottlehead Mainline and sex?

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 10
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 10
With my limited experience with my tube hybrid amps, tubes do make a difference. Not a huge difference and definitely no where as much difference as different headphones. But it may be worth trying inexpensive tubes if different kinds rather than different brands - *at first*…. And then try a different brand within that tube category. My collection of 5670 tubes have an overall different feel to them than my 6922. And I’ve never liked any of my 7N7… but I liked 6CG7 a lot so I tried more brands in that category so I tried different brands and prices within the tube types I like.

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 10
I just got elekit tu8600S and I love the amp but I'd like to try something that is a lot thicker and warmer. Don't want to spend too much, ideally under $1000. So far people have been telling me to just grab a crack. Also I hear Elise is pretty warm too.

Any thoughts ? Thx
While I love the 6XX’s on the Crack the 800 not so much so I’m guessing the 800S would not be my favorite as well but that is just my opinion. While I have a few tube amps the Crack , Monoprice Liquid Platinum, Drop CTH and Amps and Sound Kenzie still one of my favorite with the 800’s (yes not 800S ) is a amp I got for the AB-1266’s the Audio GD Master 9 it has just a bit of warmth to it plus plenty of power and I’m still not finished making my balanced cable for them but as I said my favorite as what I have and just won’t be looking much further for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back