Looking for warm, sub-$400 IEM
Oct 20, 2018 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Thallassa

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

unfortunately, my Vsonic "New" VSD5S and my Westone UM3XRC simultaneously gave out and now I'm in dire need of new IEMs.

As I am currently quite busy and I've been out of the hobby for a few years, I feel quite disoriented coming back looking for the "perfect" IEM, so I could use some help as a starting point for further research. Don't worry, I'm also looking for articles myself, but it feels like there's a lot more manufacturers out there now and quality sound might've just gotten a little cheaper and more accessible than it was a few years ago. From what I've read and heard, I don't need to spend $350 anymore to get the quality of, say, my old UM3X.

What I'm looking for is a preferably universal IEM with - again, just preferably, detachable cables. Bonus: I still have two functioning cables for the Um3XRX, so the ones with a two-pin, 0,78mm configuration. If these are still in use in current IEMs, it would be nice to know. The Noble X Massdrop ones sure do look similar, but you never know for sure...

Preferred sound signature:
I very much liked my previous Um3X and VSD5S for their sound signatures, so it should be a headphone in the warmer range.

Treble should be on the laid-back side, since I am sensitive to sibilance, but can be a little more detailed and forward then on the Um3X. Less sibilance then on the VSD5S would be perfect.

Mids shouldn't be too forward or recessed, think "neutral" and balanced.

Bass should be tight, responsive and punchy. I like a bit of hard-hitting bass with some extention, but definitely quality over quantity. Definitely do not need a basshead-IEM, but it shouldn't be a completely "flat" bass either. Think a little fun and dark.

I wrote sub-400, but please feel free to recommend any IEMs above $50 that you feel fit the description or I should check out, since I am looking, above all, for a great price/prerformance and might buy two IEM (one cheaper, one more expensive pair) to have a) backup and b) I travel to "unsafe" countries a lot, where I prefer to take my cheaper IEMs.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I will be driving these mainly with my Huawei P10 phone and with a FiiO E07K Amp

Sorry if my sound decriptions feel a little off, I actually had a hard time recalling the vocabulary for this thread. Thanks in advance for your help, dear community and have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 7
Ath-ckr10,ckr9,ckr100,ckr90,ckr9ltd. Ckr10 is warm with a bass hump, ckr100 the update to ckr10 is very classy with its bass, it's closer to neutral but smooth. Sony mdr-ex800 is also good I read. I have a ckr100 and it's perhaps the best iem I'll have ever have with this signature, I have no motivation to go looking for another one with a similar signature. I got a hd 600 yesterday and I'd say I can put them both in the same bracket for value for money.
Here's a review of ckr10 by twister6
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/12141/
Ckr100 is around 350$ new and has detachable cables
Ckr10 is around 150$ with non-removable cables and clunky design. But offers sound quality which is almost as good as ckr100 with few drawbacks

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't know of any iem's that use the cable you mentioned, I think noble uses their own proprietary connector so I wouldn't risk it. Audio-technica also uses their own connector A2DC which can't be found on any other iem. So buying aftermarket cables leaves very few options but earmax and lunashop have great upgrade cables with a2dc. The issue with stock cable on ckr series are microphonics, rubber coating, a little hard and don't feel very nice to touch and get sticky easily, there is no issue with sq or comfort. Ckr9ltd is a combination of the tuning on ckr9ltd and ckr10. Ath-e40 is a monitor series iem that audio-technica claims to be a small ath-m40x it's pretty good for 90$ and uses the same strange push pull technology as ckr series which involves 2 dynamic drivers constantly correcting each other. Ath-im70 is an old classic if you can find it anywhere. There are etymotic er4's with bass boost. Ath-e70 and audeze isine10 are more expensive but still in you budget I think. And theres crinacle's famed list if you haven't heard of it.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 7
CA Polaris... delicious!

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 7
CA Polaris... delicious!

a tad too pricey for me, especially considering import tax...

I don't know of any iem's that use the cable you mentioned, I think noble uses their own proprietary connector so I wouldn't risk it.
I finally found out - they're not proprietary, but come with the exact 0,78mm 2-pin configuration my Westones and spare cables used. Would be a huge plus for the Nobles.

There are etymotic er4's with bass boost. Ath-e70 and audeze isine10 are more expensive but still in you budget I think. And theres crinacle's famed list if you haven't heard of it.
Even when bass boosted, the ER4B-sound is just not my kind of thing. I'll check the other ones out. Thanks for reminding me of the list, I actually had it in my browsing history from years ago, but forgot about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back