Looking for warm sounding, solid bass presence active speakers 350eu~
Nov 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Djo77

Head-Fier
Hi,

You might have noticed me making threads about headphones and speakers, I just couldn't make up my mind on what to upgrade first. I realized however that if I go for headphones first I'll only have one crappy logitech speaker for a while. This as you can imagine doesn't sound good and as a result I'll probably damage my hearing from using headphones all the time (have heard some beeping, I just cannot help myself putting it louder). As such yet another thread, sorry.

Reason I made this thread is because I could not find a thread which is regarded to this exact matter. If you have seen such a thread please post the link. Will be scourging for more info regardless because I get quite obsessed with researching stuff I want to buy, especially headphones (actually everything which greatly intrerests me).

Anyway. I'm not looking for analytical speakers. I want them to sound engaging, musical/warm with a solid bass presence, I am a bit of a basshead.
I've read lot's of reconmendations but am hesistant because I've read most active speakers are meant for in the studio and as such as analytical as possible. Is this true for all active speakers? I hope not because I would rather not have to buy an extra component (dedicated amp). Also size doesn't really matter for me, and I'll be sitting around 3 meters away from them. If a sub is needed for the bass I would like active speakers with the option to connect a sub later on. 2.0 is my preference though. Best bang for the buck is what I'm aiming for, if 50 euro's extra will only give a 5% improvement I would rather not spend that extra.

Speakers I've seen mentioned:
Fostex PM 04
M-Audio Bx5a
Behringer Truth
KRK RP6

Kind of off topic, I also need a new DAC or sound card, sound card is preffered but if a DAC sound significantly better I'll go for that. Needs output connectors for the speakers, and be able to connect an headphone amp and the speakers at the same time. Best bang for the buck counts here too. I have about 75 eu if all 350 is spend going upwards with the amount left unspend if there is any.

Really appreciate all the help you can offer me (whoever reads this). Thanks(!) in advance (is this actually a correct saying?, just wondering).

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 8
I've not heard any of the speakers listed, but I had a pair of Audioengine A5. based on your sound preferences, and on what I read of the new Audioengine A5+, I'd say they fit you requirements pretty good.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 8
The pm.04 are one of my favorite small monitors they have a very excellent midrange. They dont have solid base response though . Ive ownedthe rp6 and those definitely have a solid bass response I recommene those Ive never heard the others so I cant comment.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 8
I can get the KrK 6 for 372 eu a pair (back stock but with full warrenty). The Audioengine A5's for 350 a pair. Which one should I get?
Also as you both have had the speakers, why did you sell them?

Thanks again.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I can get the KrK 6 for 372 eu a pair (back stock but with full warrenty). The Audioengine A5's for 350 a pair. Which one should I get?
Also as you both have had the speakers, why did you sell them?

Thanks again.

The krks are better they have better components.  Because I had curiosity to hear higher end active monitors like genelecs and dynaudios.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 8
I bought the Audioengine 5+ in the end. Didn't feel like sorting out which cables I would all need (included with the 5+) also it was a bit cheaper. Someone on here has both and he said the KrK's were a bit better, but it didn't convince me of paying the extra for those. Thanks for you both for your help.

On a side note. I'm thinking of buying speaker stands, but those things are damn expensive. I don't want to go over 50 eu for a set. Anyone know a place to buy somewhat cheap functioning speaker stands?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
regardless of whether the KrK are a bit better, the A5's are still good speakers in that price range, imo. you should be pleased... at least for awhile. if you're using them as near-field the ADS2 stand is a good option. 

if you want to know more about positioning speakers and how it effects their performance check these two articles:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/onlineexpert_138_3.html

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

Hi, I am increadibly pleased with my purchase, definetly worth every penny! They sound amazing! I am afraid I'll be homestuck for a while ; )
Thank you for the links. Also the remote is incredibly handy, I am glad I chose the a5+'s over the KrK's^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back