Looking for Warm, Smooth, and Clear (not dark) IEM's under or around $100
Nov 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

O.D

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just recently bought the Soundmagic e80's about a month ago. I've found that they are too bright/treble heavy for my taste. I feel that they have decent bass, It's not necessarily lacking, its just not punch and powerful in my experience. I feel that these are good IEM's and overall I like them and will keep them...I just want to invest in a pair thats "perfect" for me. I feel like the e80's overall sound is kind of veiled by the high end, in other words, it kind of coats the whole sound. They seem "fast" and "fun" but not "smooth" or "warm". I have a tendancy to like smoothness and warmth but not to the extent of sacrificing clarity. I wan't something that is a balance between neutral and fun. I like nuetral sounds but I want the sound to be loose and playful so to speak. 

I've previously owned senheiser hd280's (cans), Yuin Pk3's and Denon AH-C710's. I was loving the Yuins and have owned about 6 pairs, but since they broke so frequently I decided to try the e80's instead. The Denon's were too dark and too bassy for me. The 280 pros were very neutral and accurate, but boring. I don't want to drown in bass or high end. I want everything to be somewhat balanced with a little more emphaisis on bass and just enough high end/treble to have clarity but not be sibilant or hot or fatiguing. 

Regarding the e80's- I absolutely love everything about the build. To me, the build quality is perfect. They seem super durable, don't have a chord that tangle, little to no micro-phonics...but I just don't seem to get used to the hot treble. 

Build quality is very, very important to me. But i don't want to get IEM's just their build quality. So overall I'm leaning towards warm but clear (not dark or muffled), a little more emphasis on bass detail and power. And a high end that is "just enough". Something between fun and neutral.

I am ideally looking for something under 100. I'm not much of an audiophile but I do appreciate quality sound and I find IEM's are so fragile I don't want to spend over 100 on something that won't be a long term investment. I don't trash my IEM's, but I don't shelter them either. I try to take care of them but don't wanna obsess over it. I am willing to spend a little over 100 if it means getting something that will really last and sounds amazing. If I spend over 100, something with a detachable cable would be preferred (isn't that supposed to help durability wise?). Anyway, any suggestions I receive are appreciated.

Edit, I'll add this for more info:
  1. Budget - $100 ish
  2. Source - Iphone and computer with saffire 6 audio interface 
  3. Requirements for Isolation - Isolation is important but doesn't have to be perfect
  4. Will you be using these Headphones in Public? Yes. I don't wan't any IEM's that stick out too much and make me look like frankenstien, lol
  5. Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
  6. Preferred tonal balance - I lean heavy towards balance, while wanting something loose, fluid and fun with a clear powerful bass that doesn't take over everything else. I want just enough high end for clarity but don't want 'hot-ness'
  7. Past headphones - Yuin Pk3- loved them, not durable. Denon AH-C710- too dark, too bass heavy, not asthetically pleasing to wear. Klipsch s4, from what I remember..lacked clarity(?). Senheiser 280pro's nuetral sounding, good for mixing but boring. Soundmagic e80. Nice mids, treble too hot. Bass not quite satisfying in terms of detail punch and power. 
  8. Preferred Music -  Hip hop, trance, r and b classical, Jazz and more. Artist I like: james blake, frank ocean, kendrick lamar, Deru, Erik satie, jorja smit, anthony phillips. to name a few

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 3
I recommend the Audio Technica ATH-IM70. I think it will suit your needs perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back