Looking for very good 2.1 speakers for gaming with a budget of $800
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Swordsman

New Head-Fier
What i want is a 2.1 system that sounds powerful and have that crystal clear bass effect,  good and powerful sounding mid bass and highs.

tight and precise bass. Bass that can hit hard with a quick attack and doesn't have the boomy background and dies off quite fast. And bass that doesn't leak into your mids and highs.

Any recommendation ?

I have audition Klipsch 2.1 pro media and i'm not impressed at all. It sounds ok though but doesn't have what i want. 

Its for PC gaming.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 10
Buy passive speakers, powered sub, and a receiver.

You can pick up a refurbished Denon AVR for <$200. Get the Denon 1612 because it has Audyssey MultEQ. It will automagically EQ the speakers and sub to smooth the frequency response at the listening position. An AVR is the amp to get because it also has active bass management. You'll be able to set the crossover where you want vs. having to set the subwoofer at the natural rolloff of the speakers. Here's a pro review of the Denon 1612: http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-1612-av-receiver

For speakers, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Arx A1b, or Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE (I have these). The Ascends have excellent transient response for mid bass.

Then you just need a powered sub. This JBL Studio 1 Series SUB150P at Newegg is a very good deal at $179 shipped.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 10
There are of course ridiculous options like the Harman Kardon BDS 370, but it's tough to find for less than $900!

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Buy passive speakers, powered sub, and a receiver.

You can pick up a refurbished Denon AVR for <$200. Get the Denon 1612 because it has Audyssey MultEQ. It will automagically EQ the speakers and sub to smooth the frequency response at the listening position. An AVR is the amp to get because it also has active bass management. You'll be able to set the crossover where you want vs. having to set the subwoofer at the natural rolloff of the speakers. Here's a pro review of the Denon 1612: http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-1612-av-receiver

For speakers, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Arx A1b, or Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE (I have these). The Ascends have excellent transient response for mid bass.

Then you just need a powered sub. This JBL Studio 1 Series SUB150P at Newegg is a very good deal at $179 shipped.

thanks i will go audition for the items you mentioned. 

Sorry but how do i connect all these to PC ? AVR and subwoofer to speakers, then speakers to PC ?

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 10
AVR to speakers. You have two options: HDMI out from a graphics card or optical out from your motherboard audio. Either is fine for 2.0. Then the AVR will handle splitting the 2 channels off the to the subwoofer.

Two of those speakers are Internet direct. You can only audition them if you live near the company that makes and sells them. Ascend Acoustics is in CA. I think in Orange County (not sure).

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 10
If he does the GPU --> HDMI ---> AVR route, won't that bypass the DSP of the soundcard? Which would negate any benefits of positional sound effects?

Yes. It will bypass the DSP of the soundcard. But I wonder what the benefits are of the positional sound effects with speakers/monitors? With headphones, it helps with being able to hear what's going on behind you and outside of your field of view. But two speakers don't have a soundstage like that.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Supposedly even with a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker setup, it can somehow give positional cues.

Probably not as well as with headphones, or with a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, but probably better than just a typical stereo output.

However, it might tweak the sound in such a way as one might just prefer a standard stereo output.

EDIT:

If you want to try it with a sound card, rather than do GPU --> HDMI ---> AVR, you could do the same thing as described above, except do it: Sound card -->optical out --> AVR, and that should provide you with the DSP processing from the sound card.

EDIT2:

I have the Arx Ab1 speakers and the Ascend 170se speakers. For what it is worth, if I were to do a 2.0 setup, I would go with teh Arx Ab1. They have a bit better bass. If I were to do a 2.1 setup, it would be a tougher call.

The Arx Ab1 have a bit better clarity in dialog and are blacker/darker with it's sound. The Ascend 170se is more lively with its sound. It is hard to describe, but the best I can do is with music the Arx sound more like a studio recording and the Ascend sound more like a live recording. The Ascends are probably more of a natural and neutral sound, but the Arx sound is more clear and distinct. The ascends are more power sensitive and can get louder on less power than the Arx as well.

You cannot go wrong either way, they are both great speakers for $300-350 a pair. The differences I am describing are more subtle differences than they are drastic.

I hear the BIC F12 subwoofer is a nice $200 budget sub. You might want to look into that. I have not heard it myself, but I always see people talking about it. The Klipsch RD12 is always on sale at newegg for $280-300. That is also apparently a decent sub for the price (but its more of an HT sub than a music sub, as it is more rowdy than articulate, apparently).

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Supposedly even with a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker setup, it can somehow give positional cues. Probably not as well as with headphones, or with a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, but probably better than just a typical stereo output. However, it might tweak the sound in such a way as one might just prefer a standard stereo output. EDIT: If you want to try it with a sound card, rather than do GPU --> HDMI ---> AVR, you could do the same thing as described above, except do it: Sound card -->optical out --> AVR, and that should provide you with the DSP processing from the sound card.

+1 Good point. Why not try both? :)

EDIT2: I have the Arx Ab1 speakers and the Ascend 170se speakers. For what it is worth, if I were to do a 2.0 setup, I would go with teh Arx Ab1. They have a bit better bass. If I were to do a 2.1 setup, it would be a tougher call. The Arx Ab1 have a bit better clarity in dialog and are blacker/darker with it's sound. The Ascend 170se is more lively with its sound. It is hard to describe, but the best I can do is with music the Arx sound more like a studio recording and the Ascend sound more like a live recording. The Ascends are probably more of a natural and neutral sound, but the Arx sound is more clear and distinct. The ascends are more power sensitive and can get louder on less power than the Arx as well. You cannot go wrong either way, they are both great speakers for $300-350 a pair.

I own the 170s and have not heard the Arx A1bs, but what you say definitely matches up with what I've heard other people say that have heard both. Plus, this price range, does seem like in this price range they are hard to beat. I also have a pair of Energy V5.1s (and previously RC-10s), and the Ascends just seem a bit better speaker.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 10
With that budget, you are prolly looking for a more audio perfected system, but the Corsair 2500 p does the job for gaming. One might say it sounds powerfull due the huge subwoofer, but once again, its far away from perfected audio since its tad overpowered over the rest of the spectrum. Makes up a great cinematic experience tho.

The Audioengine 5+ is definitely something for the 400 bucks you'll end up paying. Pair it up with a fine subwoofer and you'll have a neat couple! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back