Looking for versatile amp ideally <$200
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

endemic

New Head-Fier
Hey all.  I'm relatively new to the headphone scene. 

I bought my first over-$30 pair about a year and a half ago, the K702s, and the HeadRoom Total BitHead DAC/amp in order to push them a bit harder than my laptop's soundcard.  I was immediately enamored, but I wasn't yet quite ensnared until about six months ago when I bought my *second* pair of legitimate headphones, and realized how different good headphones could be (and vice-versa).  A couple pairs later, though, the question is where do I go next? 

My first instinct for upgrading would be my D-A/amp situation--the BitHead strikes me as pretty good value for its price, but I feel like I could do better.  I'm willing to pursue any direction you guys point me in, though.  My current can collection is the K702, K550, DT880 Pro (250 ohm), and ATH-AD900x, with the 880s currently my most frequently used pair.  I've been using all of them with VLC/foobar2k on my laptop through the BitHead.  I listen to a pretty diverse range of things: alt and indie rock, funk, swing, metal, rap, and basically any kind of electronic music you can think of that isn't completely silly (I'm lookin' at you speedcore). 

I'm thinking solid state amps right now... the world of tube amps kind of intimidates me.  I guess I'm not completely averse to the idea though?  Especially looking for anything that you think would particularly suit any or all of my current headphones.  And unless you convince me I'm being silly, I'd rather it not cost significantly more than them?

Cheers!

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Does the Total Bithead have a line out? If not, then you need a DAC/amp, right?

Are you good with a desktop setup? Or do you need portable?

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Does the Total Bithead have a line out? If not, then you need a DAC/amp, right?

Correct; it does not.

Quote:
Are you good with a desktop setup? Or do you need portable?

Desktop is fine.  The Total BitHead is pretty good for portable use, so I would just keep it for that alone.  I've not had a chance to listen to any FiiO or other portable amps so I don't know whether there are substantial improvements to be made in an amp that I could still carry around without too much effort?

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 5
At around $200, Schiit Modi and Magni are generally considered on Head-Fi to be the current best price/performance value. How much better that will be than the Total BitHead, I couldn't tell you. But I don't think you can do better at that price.

You can learn more in this thread. Possible if you ask there, someone could compare the Modi/Magni to the TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back