looking for usb sound card w/dual outputs
Jan 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
I asked a similar question a few months back, but didn't really get much to go on. What I'm looking for:
- at least 2 discreet analog outputs (ie: 4 channels or more)
- one of which is balanced (TSR or XLR)
- headphone out, either as the secondary output or keyed to one of the outputs (not a combined mix of all the channels), selectable would be a bonus
- preferably usb powered, but not required
- not firewire
- inputs nice, but not required
- "portable"

My usage would be as a DJ, although not a club style dj where mixing is involved. I dj swing/latin/ballroom dances, so need one output to cue and select my songs, and the other to feed into the house audio system (which is why I'd like to have the balanced outputs). I currently use a usb dac to feed into the sound system and my laptop headphone jack (using the internal sound card) for cueing, which is functional but leaves a lot to be desired. Outside of dj'ing, I would like to use this device for casual listening.

The only one I've found so far is the Focusrite Saffire 6, but reviews are slim and Canadian prices are 50% higher than US.

I've look at units like the emu 0404 and M-Audio Fast Track Pro, but it looks like their secondary outputs are to spdif rather than analog (if I'm wrong, please correct me). Incidentally, if someone could compare the 0404 and Fast Track Pro that would be much appreciated. They seem to be very similar devices, yet I mostly only hear of the 0404 on these forums. The Fast Track Pro is $40 cheaper at my local store ($200 vs $240).
edit: looks like the Fast Track Pro *does* have dual analog outputs

I've also looked at units like the Native Instruments Audio DJ 2 and Echo Indigo DJx, but those only have stereo out, whereas I would like to have at least one set of balanced outs.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 26
Okay, how about a different question:
1) Does anyone have experience with the Saffire 6 usb?
2) How are the M-Audio usb drivers under Windows 7? (M-Audio is rather problematic with drivers all around it seems)

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 26
Two UNIQUE outs on one sound card? Not really possible, or, if it is, not very common at all. I'd look into getting a really nice balanced DAC (DACMAGIC or Little Dot DAC_I come to mind sub $500), and setup something like this.

Foobar - WASAPI: DAC Unit
Winamp - DirectSound: 'Speakers'

That way, anything you play on Foobar will go to the DAC, and the DAC will be locked down in exclusive mode. Anything that you then play in Winamp, will go to your laptop's HP out. (Not the best quality, but, really, if you're just sampling a track to line it up for the main system, there isn't much problem). You can then use the DAC at home for yourself aswell, in combination with your favorite balanced or unbalanced amp.

If you want something like you describe, you'd need multiple sources, and a mixing board, or one very specific unit with two unique input lines, and a complicated switching system inside.

I've used an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with my Win7 system with relatively no problems.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two UNIQUE outs on one sound card? Not really possible, or, if it is, not very common at all. I'd look into getting a really nice balanced DAC (DACMAGIC or Little Dot DAC_I come to mind sub $500), and setup something like this.

Foobar - WASAPI: DAC Unit
Winamp - DirectSound: 'Speakers'

What?
There are many cards with multiple outputs.
You will need to get a recording card such as the untis mentioned above.
If your card has multiple outputs, you can set one application to use 1 stereo pair and another to use the next Such as:
player application 1 - ASIO output 1/2
player application 2 - ASIO output 3/4

There are many ways to get such a system.
You can also go the external route uing a mixer in a similar way a turntable DJ does it. Instead of turn table though you would be using two outputs from a system. Just fade into the output you want.
This way you can listen and cue the one side and then fade in when the other side is finished.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMU 0202/0404 USB

Why does E-mu get so much love on this forum? What makes them better than all the other recording interfaces? (better amp? better dac?)

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 26
There are many great recording interfaces out there. If your looking for a card with multiple seperate outputs then your going to need a recording card.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does E-mu get so much love on this forum? What makes them better than all the other recording interfaces? (better amp? better dac?)

It's not the "best," but I think it's safe to say it is regarded as a great value for the money.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What?
There are many cards with multiple outputs.
You will need to get a recording card such as the untis mentioned above.
If your card has multiple outputs, you can set one application to use 1 stereo pair and another to use the next Such as:
player application 1 - ASIO output 1/2
player application 2 - ASIO output 3/4

There are many ways to get such a system.
You can also go the external route uing a mixer in a similar way a turntable DJ does it. Instead of turn table though you would be using two outputs from a system. Just fade into the output you want.
This way you can listen and cue the one side and then fade in when the other side is finished.

I haven't seen a USB-driven, multiple unique output, with mixing capabilities... Anything. If you have such an example, please link it.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen a USB-driven, multiple unique output, with mixing capabilities... Anything. If you have such an example, please link it.

I'm not sure about mixing capabilities, but I've already mentioned the M-Audio Fast Track Pro (the Ultra also has multiple outputs), Saffire 6 USB, Native Instruments has a few, as does Hercules, etc.
Some of them have a "mixing" capability insofar as blending in a separate analog input.

I'm sure some of the big dj'ing mixing interfaces will have multiple output + mixing, but I haven't really looked too much into those... Shop Pro Audio, DJ Gear, DJ Controllers & Interfaces | Musician's Friend

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about mixing capabilities, but I've already mentioned the M-Audio Fast Track Pro (the Ultra also has multiple outputs), Saffire 6 USB, Native Instruments has a few, as does Hercules, etc.
Some of them have a "mixing" capability insofar as blending in a separate analog input.

I'm sure some of the big dj'ing mixing interfaces will have multiple output + mixing, but I haven't really looked too much into those... Shop Pro Audio, DJ Gear, DJ Controllers & Interfaces | Musician's Friend

I've used a Fast Track Pro, and if I recall, it had multiple outputs of the same stream. (Had it hooked up to headphones, and a mixer. Mind you, if it had an internal mixer, the owner wouldn't have bought a mini 4 chan mixer with it, because that wouldn't make sense.)

As for the Focusrite Saffire 6, it has multiple ins, but only one over USB, then another two XLR / 1/4" combiplug. (One sharing a channel with the USB). Meaning you that COULD use it and the DAC you have together, as two seperate USB units, and dedicate the devices similarly to how you have them now/I showed in my first post. I don't know how the outs work, though. Presumably, channel 1 in takes 1/2 out, and channel 2 in takes 3/4 out.

As for acquiring one, Erikson Audio can distribute them, so, you might be able to convince someone local who is supplied by Erikson Audio to order one in for you. (Probably at less than a straight-from-US import.)

As a question, why not just get a second DAC? A nice one for home, and combine them both for work. If you're just using it to cue tracks, why is it so important?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back