Looking for upgrades for Ety's ER-6i
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Why would he buy SE530 if he likes the sound sig of the Ety's? Don't bother with the SE530.

Because they have a similar sound signature, at least to my ears. The 530 corrects all of the Ety's low-end defects, without losing any of the detail. In fact, I've found that after an EQ, the Ety sound moderates to something more similar to the Shures than the RE0, especially in the mids where the RE0s need a bit of a boost.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because they have a similar sound signature, at least to my ears.

That's interesting: When I owned both the ER6i and the SE530, I didn't think they sounded anything alike. This is further evidence that Saitek666 should probably go out and test a couple of the models that have been suggested here.

For the purpose of helping Saitek666 select a better version of his ER6i, it might be important to find out what it is about the Etymotics that he does likes.

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 23
First of all sorry for the slow answer, I was a bit busy today, also thanks a lot for the help that you guys are giving me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnievidi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to try the SE530s (or any IEM for that matter) you can buy them from B&H or Headphone.com. Both sites offer great return policies on IEMs if send them back within two weeks and if the packaging is not damaged.

I have purchased many headphones from both sites, and have returned many headphones to both sites without issue.

B&H used to have the SE530 for $250 (I got mine from them in July at that price and returned them after a week). Their site is now showing a much higher price though. Maybe you could call them and see if they will bring the price back down, in light of the fact that they used to have the 530's at a lower price AND you can get them elsewhere for much less (if they are stubborn mention J&R, one of their competitors in NYC, who does have them for less but doesn't advertise the lower price).

If neither site will lower their prices, you can order from them at the full price to try the headphones out and then return them in order to buy from a cheaper place once you know which model you really want.

(Also, Amazon--and some, not all, of its resellers--allows you to return IEMs as well as long as the packaging is not damaged)

Regardless of which model you decide on, I would highly recommend taking your time and trying out different models until you find one that works for you.

Posts on this site can only lead you in a direction and offer advice, but ultimately your choice will come down to what sounds good to you... not to someone else.

I know that the final choice will be my own, the reason why I said the SA6 was because many of the reviews here seem to agree that they are good IEM for the price being, not overpriced or anything. Also, thanks for letting me know that some companies accept the return of IEM, I thought that was impossible unless they were damaged.

Quote:

In any respect, I would get the Livewires over any model of Shure or even the GR8 at their full price. But if you can get the GR8s for $190, then they are not much more than a pair of ER4, which go for around $180. (Although, Headphone.com has the ER4p in B-Stock for $144.)

Well if I go ahead and get the livewires custom ones, how much would it be the molding thing? That is expensive I believe. They seem to have a fair price, I mean for dual armatures and customs seem to be the best choice at this moment.

Quote:

Because they have a similar sound signature, at least to my ears. The 530 corrects all of the Ety's low-end defects, without losing any of the detail. In fact, I've found that after an EQ, the Ety sound moderates to something more similar to the Shures than the RE0, especially in the mids where the RE0s need a bit of a boost.

For the price being and having three armature should be a lot better and not just a bit better. I'm not an audiophile or anything, I just like my music to sound the way it should be, nothing overshadowing the rest.

Quote:

That's interesting: When I owned both the ER6i and the SE530, I didn't think they sounded anything alike. This is further evidence that Saitek666 should probably go out and test a couple of the models that have been suggested here.

For the purpose of helping Saitek666 select a better version of his ER6i, it might be important to find out what it is about the Etymotics that he does likes.

So you want to know what is it that I like of the ER6i? Very simple, the detail that it offers, the bass sounds great and precise (at least for me, remember that I'm just beginner), but I would like a bit more of punch, especially in some pop/electronic, that's where the ER-6i is not as good. I love the highs of the ER-6i, especially with the FiiO E3, I know I know it's a cheap amp, but how it controls the highs and medium and puts a bit more of bass makes it sound wonderful at least on my Cowon and when I use them at night on my computer. How can I focus in each instrument and never let a riff slip, can follow the drumming without trouble, and even hear stuff in the back that I didn't know was there.

Sorry for the long post.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 23
Just offering my 2c worth of (limited) experience...

The ER6i's were my first IEM, and boy did they sound amazing when I had them. Earlier this year, I heard about the Audeo PFEs and decided to get a pair. Since then I have not listened to the ER6i's for more than a few minutes... everything seemed to be even more detailed, aparticularly in the bass - very nuanced bass lines that I'd never heard before with the ER6i's suddenly began appearing in my favourite songs. I think its a bit more comfortable than the ER6i's as they don't stick out of my ears as much, and the olive buds slip into my ears very easily. The cable is also far less microphonic. The downsides to the Audeos are the limited soundstage vs ER6i, and (YMMV) the build quality.

But I agree with the sentiment that you should definitely try before you buy (if you have the opportunity to).

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

For the price being and having three armature should be a lot better and not just a bit better. I'm not an audiophile or anything, I just like my music to sound the way it should be, nothing overshadowing the rest.

Which is why they say "sorry about your wallet" around here. Once you get some very good phones--and the Ety 6i is very good--moderate improvements in quality come with large jumps in price.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeffa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just offering my 2c worth of (limited) experience...

The ER6i's were my first IEM, and boy did they sound amazing when I had them. Earlier this year, I heard about the Audeo PFEs and decided to get a pair. Since then I have not listened to the ER6i's for more than a few minutes... everything seemed to be even more detailed, aparticularly in the bass - very nuanced bass lines that I'd never heard before with the ER6i's suddenly began appearing in my favourite songs. I think its a bit more comfortable than the ER6i's as they don't stick out of my ears as much, and the olive buds slip into my ears very easily. The cable is also far less microphonic. The downsides to the Audeos are the limited soundstage vs ER6i, and (YMMV) the build quality.

But I agree with the sentiment that you should definitely try before you buy (if you have the opportunity to).

The thing about the Audeo Perfect Fit is that they go over the ear, i mean they have those round things that I don't like that much. I know the shure and ultimate ear 5 are over the ear but doesn't have those round things that make them 'rest' in that area of the ear.

Quote:

Which is why they say "sorry about your wallet" around here. Once you get some very good phones--and the Ety 6i is very good--moderate improvements in quality come with large jumps in price.

I bought the Ety's for $78 so I guess the right thing to do is to spend at least the double the amount so I can feel the improvement.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

That's like saying Mayonaise tastes like Mustard. They sound nothing alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back