Looking for upgrade path suggestions.
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jacob Philbrick

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! As the title suggests, I am looking for some upgrade path suggestions from the great people over here on Head-fi. I am not dissatisfied with my current rig, but wouldn't mind eeking out some more performance out of it or upgrading devices for a "better" sound ("better" dimensional, imaging, etc.).

Current setup is as follows:
BlueSound Node 2 -> Coax out -> Mimby -> Jotunheim -> HD650 (balanced)

The Mimby actually goes to a Emotiva Bas-x a-100 hooked up to an Infinity il-120s sub and Kef q100s and line out put to the Jot.

I also have the Mimby and Jot DS DAC plugged into a decent powered USB hub for computer listening.

All devices are currently plugged into a Furman MX-8 power conditioner and I have 2 250w isolation transformers and a 500w isolation transformer waiting to be installed this weekend. (I live in an apartment complex with really dirty AC mains, have not been able to measure if there are any voltage fluctuations.)

I also use optical out of game consoles to the BlueSound, however I am not too concerned with fidelity on the consoles.

I have read a lot on keeping the digital side nice and clean so have been debating products such as reclockers and USB converters.

Looking more to hopefully have "better" imaging/spatial ques.

Not worried about a "right now" solution, as I said I am not dissatisfied with the sound, just looking for options. Saving for better gear and not getting fancy gadgets is 100% an option.

I probably forgot some stuff here, feel free to pester me with questions.

Thanks in advance,
JP

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Please say your budget is 30 g’s

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Please say your budget is 30 g’s

Oh how I wish!

I knew I forgot something!

Looking close to the few hundred-ish area. More looking for best bank for the buck kind of thing. Of course the longer I decide to wait, the higher my budget goes. Of course this hobby certainly has a way of making my wallet hate me!

Basically I'm NOT looking for 10k+ DACs, 1k+ cables, etc. Just the "best" results I can get for a "reasonable" amount of money.

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 8
:disappointed:

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 8
The Yggdrasil is a fine choice for a dac I love mine and it will be going in to get the Gen 5 usb and Analog 2 upgrade very soon. It is a bit pricey but I think worth it. The number one upgrade I think is headphones. Have not heard the 650’s from the Jot so don’t know about that but two other amps that I think are very good with them is the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and I think one of the best with them a Bottlehead Crack.
As for the reclockers I don’t know have not tried one in my system and getting the Gen 5 upgrade don’t see a need.
Usually the best upgrade to a headphone system is headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back