Looking for upgrade from ATH-M50's
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

WallyWest

New Head-Fier
Used the M50 for a while and I like it.

Headphone amp is the JDS Labs Objective 2. I'll be sticking with that.

So obviously my whole setup is focused on detail, to the point of being analytical. Which works quite well for me with a near perfect recording. But it picks up every possible defect in a not so perfect recording.

I'd like to find a headphone that is a tad warmer than the M50, while keeping as much of the detail as possible. My listening is mostly rock and metal, but I dabble in all sorts of genres so I don't want a headphone that is biased heavily towards any type of music really. I like bass, but not boomy undefined bass. Looking for tight accurate bass that doesn't overpower the mids. So basically something a bit warmer, more engaging and dynamic if that makes sense, that doesn't stray too far from the balanced neutral sound of the M50.

Oh, and I would like to stay closed back with decent isolation, but if there's a really compelling option out there that fits my needs and happens to be open back I'll consider it. I've owned some lower end Grados before and liked them well enough.

Budget is negotiable, but of course looking for a good bang for the buck. I'd say upwards of $500 and I could be talked into higher if it's a huge jump in quality for just a bit more.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 3
Feb 26, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Have you considered the higher-end Audio Technica headphones?

I'm a big fan of my ATH-A1000z, and can def recommend them because they fit your desciprition. Their sound is exactly that, similar yet warmer and more detailed. I went through many before finally getting to these, and they don't disappoint.

Here's a video review:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back