Looking for two IEM connector part names or numbers.
Oct 10, 2011 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Exarch

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

Long time low-volt/small electronics DIYer, brand new audio DIYer!

I've been looking around for the name or a part number of the jack which is used on current SE series Shure IEM devices to connect the IEM to the cable.  So far, many hours have been spent and not much has come of it.

The second one I'm looking for is the name/part number of the two-pronged jack used in connecting many other IEM's to their cable, if possible, a separate part number for the UE products and the rest of the two-prong gaggle would be awesome.

My plan here is to start re-cabling various pieces of gear which I own (or will own soon).  The only thing I would very much not like to do is hack up the OEM cables, as they will be the reference by which my creations will be compared.

Any help which can be provided to hunt down these connectors would be very greatly appreciated.

If this has been covered and my search mojo was not strong enough, please accept my most humble apologies!

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 24
I've been looking for the same things, this guy may have what you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320763282747
he also carries connectors for the UE ones as well.

btw I wanna ask during your search have you come accross any seller that stocks the 2 pin connectors like the one used in custome IEM? I only found 1 guy from Canada but he's been off the radar for 2 weeks and I'm hopelessly searching for another seller.

worst come to worst, I might have to resort to using these Shure adaptor instead, not bad though, but they are quite bulky.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 24
Cheaper at Mouser:
http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Connex/262106/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuLQf%252bEuFsOrt%252btcP204qKTDwOc8B5JZnA%3d

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 24
^ that's awesome! thanks Arrow!
btw do you happen to know if Mouser or Digikey stocks the 2 pin sockets used in custom iem?

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 24
Like the ones used on Ultimate Ears and Unique Melody?
I have not really looked, but I heard they were supposed to have been custom made.
I don't have any IEM that use that connector so that makes it harder for me to find.

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 24
yeah that's what I heard too. But since most of the custom iem out there use the same configuration I just wonder if they are some popular type connector.
I asked In'tech for their custom socket but the price is quite steep, 5$ each but minimum amount per order is 50. Socom in Uk allows single unit purchase but theirs doesnt really look like the one used in most iem (UM, JH, UE etc.)

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 24
I wonder if they just use something like the pins from an IC socket and they are just
injection molded into the cable/shell.
I had a pretty good look at the pictures on the UM web site. The cables looked outsourced
and the shells had the pins molded right in. There just might be no connector to find...
The other brand of IEM they had on the UM website used the MMCX connector.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 24
well, I did some search and came across a chinese post saying that what UM did was gluing the socket into the faceplate, but another way to do it is to simply drill 2 holes and insert the female pins in and glue the whole thing in the end. That's quite time consuming though.

is there anyway to know what type of pin being used here?

and can I have the name of the model that uses mmcx connector? Never knew UM has one.

thanks

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 24
These ones here:
http://www.custom-iem.com/wan-xuan-i9-pro-single-14mm-dynamic-driver-p-661.html

If I could get a hold of  a UM/UE/JH I might be able to tell. I can't tell from the pictures
I have seen so far...

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 24
Here is a pretty clear picture of the "Beat Audio" cable end:
http://www.custom-iem.com/zeus-beat-audio-earphone-cable-p-643.html

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 24

1. Dimensions: (HxWxD) 5mm x 3mm x 5mm.
  2. Contact diameter: 0.78mm.
  3. Contact pitch: 1.75mm

perhaps this helps, this one is custom molded by sensorcom here, not something you can find on the street everyday but it might gives you an idea what type of socket looks like this one.
I will try get an image from In'tech if this doesn't work.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 24
First off, let me apologize for taking so long to get back to this thread, work is crazy these months of the year.

Avro_Arrow, thanks a TON for the links.  Time to get to tweaking/making/enjoying... once the spool'o'conductor gets here that is...  I hate lead times.

And back to learning about electrical propagation along a conductor made of dis-similar materials!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back