Looking for true balanced 4.4mm out with MQA compatibility... Anything?
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone know of a portable or semi-portable rig (battery powered) that offers a true balanced out via 4.4mm, and can decode MQA?

Larger than a true portable is fine, since this is for desktop use... But due to the location, it must be battery powered.

It will be pushing the Focal Clear and Elegia.

The only thing I’ve found is the Sony DMP-Z1, and I’m not trying to spend $8,500. Looking for around $500-$1500. Or hey, less is even better.

Any suggestions appreciated, with my gratitude. Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Hiby R5. Long battery & great price. Had one and if I still used a DAP it would be the one.

Some have reported weakness of BT/WiFi but was fine for me when I used mostly offline Tidal files.

https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-to-get-mqa/hiby-partner-page

Ooops though you said DAP (though it can be used as a DAC/AMP too.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 13
Hip-DAC is my recommendation.

Hiby R5. Long battery & great price. Had one and if I still used a DAP it would be the one.

Some have reported weakness of BT/WiFi but was fine for me when I used mostly offline Tidal files.

https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-to-get-mqa/hiby-partner-page

Ooops though you said DAP (though it can be used as a DAC/AMP too.

Doesn't the Sony ZX507 also offer MQA? Have you any experience with the Sony to compare with the R5?

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Hip-DAC is my recommendation.

Doesn't the Sony ZX507 also offer MQA? Have you any experience with the Sony to compare with the R5?

No one has a clear answer on the thread, many think it still has the Android re sampling for Tidal App but it does play MQA files correctly in the Walkman App itself. I had both the R5 & ZX507. The R5 does bypass android audio limitations. Still, the ZX507 sounds superb with Tidal app even if not doing true MQA.

For sound quality if not too hung up on MQA then its the ZX507 IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 13
I think iFi Hip DAC is a good choice.
Awesome, thanks! What do you think about the xDSD? It seems to have better specs (+ Bluetooth), but I can't figure out how I'd connect my Lola IEM's to the balanced port on it, using my JH 2.5mm male balanced cable. Same with my LCD-2's - I'm using a balanced cable with a 4.4mm balanced male end. I've been looking for adapters unsuccessfully... Don't know much about this stuff unfortunately

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Hey thanks! I found some really positive reviews of Penon's HiFi adapters on head-fi and other audio sites so I'll probably buy two of those. Only bad part is it'll take forever for them to ship to the US from Hong Kong I bet!

thanks again
Waiting for shipment is always the toughest time, especially for audiophiles!

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Haha it sure is... Can't wait for the xDSD to get here tomorrow... I'm trying to figure out the best way to stream my music at home until I get my NAS. I was originally going to just hit my PC across my network and use VLC, but I discovered that it doesn't seem to play DSD's. CloudBeats is not a bad option to use with my 1TB OneDrive... It used to only play CD quality but they silently updated the app to at least 24/96 because my DragonFly Red light turns violet. I emailed them to see how high it goes however I should be able to figure that out tomorrow when I plug the xDSD into it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back