Looking for tribal drumming/Jembe music, suggestions?
Jan 31, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
hi all,
as the title says really, i like my music interesting, minimallistic, fast, slow, whatever, as long as its done well. i really dig tribal drumming at the moment and im looking (as allways) to expand my ever growing music collection.
i really dont know where to start on this one, if you could give a brief discription on what you reccommend, that would be usefull, so that i could possible know what to ask for...

thanks in advance

Jon.

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Try the Blue Man Group - Audio. I guess I would call it psychedelic prog rock with the foundation being a tribal sounding percussion section. Or maybe I should say it is prog tribal drumming with maybe one or two instruments playing over it. I dono, either way I'm pretty sure you will like this cd. I also recently found out that it is now available in DVD-A (the original was an HDCD) which is nice if you can play those formats.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 9
thanks nova, i guess i could probably check out stomp as well.
any more suggestions?

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Ommadawn part one has a group of african drummers playing amazingly at the climax, though the whole album is basically a world/classical rock masterpeice. I would reccomend it highly. Not 100% tribal drumming, but there are some nice parts

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn 1975 Virgin

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 9
The Nigerian drummer Babatunde Olatunji should be reasonably famous, as he has released an "audiophile" album, Love Drum Talk, under Chesky Records. That album veers towards the mainstream, and I think the stuff to go for is his Drum of Passion trilogy under Rykodisc (for example The Beat) -- drumbeats so dense that you won't bother to count time, accompanied by chanting (sometimes in English) and electric guitar, West-African style.

The ritual music of The Master Musicans of Jajouka, from Morocco, has mesmerised such beatnik writers as William Burroughs and Paul Bowles. This is a very animalistic kind of music: you won't find melodies or even rhythms to hang on to: the primodial "trance" music, perhaps. The large ensemble of trumpet-like instruments (raitas) and wooden drums erect an air-tight wall of sound, within which you lose your sense of time and self. This is music to cower under, to give up yourself entirely.

Another form of ritual music form Morocco is that of Gnawa, which uses drums, metal castanets, a strumming bass-like instrument called Guimbri. Traditional Gnawa music is pretty hard on the ears: the castanets really get on your nerves. However, there are groups like Nass Marrakech which, by lightening the texture, cleaning up the rhythms, and adding different instruments, have made the music beautiful and enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back