Looking for tips to stay alert & focused doing work & homework
Dec 5, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 26
I agree with most of the comments, but there is something else to try: nootropics.

In particular, for this exact application (well for me work--mathematical software, i'm unfortuantely way too old to have 'homework')  I have found some success with oxiracetam + the GPC choline.  It doesn't give any jitters like caffeine, and it doesn't have any emotional effect one way or another.  What it does do is make me want to work and do cognitively difficult things instead of blowing it off.

I've used this one before:

http://www.biologicsnutra.com/productdetails.asp?productid=446

but there are many similar ones. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #17 of 26
Find the time you're most alert and productive. For some people its morning, for some its night time. Then, try to work without any distractions. Music can help relax, but won't help focus. With music you'll end up paying less attention to the work.
Set small goals and take breaks. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #18 of 26
Eating low mercury fatty fish high in omega 3 fats such as salmon, sardines and herring can help boost cognitive function. Magnesium is also necessary for good cognitive function. Nuts and seeds are high in magnesium. Most people in the US are deficient in magnesium.

Taking a 10 minute walk every hour or so will help with circulation. It will also help relieve eye fatigue to focus on further distances after focusing on close distances for an hour or more at a time.

Imo low volume classical music might help some to concentrate while studying, however for me I don't see rock music as helping increase concentration, especially if it is at higher volumes.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 26
Eating low mercury fatty fish high in omega 3 fats such as salmon, sardines and herring can help boost cognitive function. Magnesium is also necessary for good cognitive function. Nuts and seeds are high in magnesium. Most people in the US are deficient in magnesium.

Taking a 10 minute walk every hour or so will help with circulation. It will also help relieve eye fatigue to focus on further distances after focusing on close distances for an hour or more at a time.

Imo low volume classical music might help some to concentrate while studying, however for me I don't see rock music as helping increase concentration, especially if it is at higher volumes.

I'd also add Vitamin B to the mix, and maybe throw a swim or shower in every now and then. But yeah. I agree with proton too.

Finally one other thing to point out: not all people are able to just sit down and hammer out work like a machine. If that's you, know and accept that about yourself; and plan accordingly.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:
Yeah, I'm planning on nipping my procrastination in the bud this weekend.  :wink:

Did no one else get this?

Anyway, I have a friend that takes Adderal.  Of course, I should mention that he is under a physician's care and has a full prescription for it.  Does it always help him get his stuff done?  No, not always.  But it does make him think REALLY hard about the stuff that he's not getting done.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:
Find the time you're most alert and productive. For some people its morning, for some its night time. Then, try to work without any distractions. Music can help relax, but won't help focus. With music you'll end up paying less attention to the work.
Set small goals and take breaks. 

Definitely find the time of day that you're most productive and take advantage of that. I am a night hawk 
smile.gif

As for the music portion, I disagree. Turn on some ambient electronic or classical at low volumes. May not be for you though.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
As for the music portion, I disagree. Turn on some ambient electronic or classical at low volumes. May not be for you though.

Actually, I may have generalized. It depends on the task you're doing. If doing something creative or hands on, music may help, boost your creativity even. But I'm not sure it'll help in analytical thinking, or solving maths problems, you might end up making more mistakes.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:
Actually, I may have generalized. It depends on the task you're doing. If doing something creative or hands on, music may help, boost your creativity even. But I'm not sure it'll help in analytical thinking, or solving maths problems, you might end up making more mistakes.

Perhaps, but I practice chemistry and calculus with ambient music in the background and do well. Not for everyone, I guess.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps, but I practice chemistry and calculus with ambient music in the background and do well. Not for everyone, I guess.

I think music tends to be less distracting with mathematics. A couple other people mentioned that in this thread. I used to listen to goa psy trance while doing precalc work, it was great.

Thank you all for your posts here, I really appreciate it! Lots and lots of things to try :)
  Awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back