Looking for tips: selling LP collection (audiophile, import pressings, Absolute Sound rarities, etc).
Feb 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pjr300

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks. I am looking for tips for selling an LP collection that I just haven't uncorked in about 20 years. All sorts of interesting stuff in there. Examples:

1. Audiophile pressings from Mobile Fidelity (In think an UHQR of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon);
  2. import pressings (The Wall, Springsteen's The River and Nebraska);
  3. some Absolute Sound recommended recordings from HP's List that are long rare (ATF Der Komissar; Rough Trade, Moroder's Cat People with David Bowie),
  4. And a bunch of crazy stuff (Steve Windwood's 1977 solo LP that I can't even find at Amazon on CD; Everly Brothers Live at Carnegie Hall); a few Elvis LPs, Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane's Rough Mix; the Secret Policeman's Ball concert).
  5. Some classical and other stuff too.

I am looking for ideas on the best way to sell these. Where to list and how. I would assume that it would be best to sell as singles or in small sets. Not sure if ebay or Audiogon or here is the best spot. Thx....

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd go for Audiogon, break it up into small sets.

For the real rarities like the UHQRs (which can fetch big time money) I'd make it known that you have them, PM some interested/well known Head-Fi Members, then Put it up on Audiogon, by itself.

Selling LPs is all about the "T L P"

T= Timing. You have to hit the market at the right time. People will buy music that they've been looking for, or have had a recent interest in.

L= Location. You've got to pick your spots. Selling a Ferrari in your rural front yard probably won't help you much, but contacting the right people and listing it in a respectful organization will get it sold.

P= Product. It looks like you've gt that covered. People will want what you've got.

Good luck, and don't let yourself be low-balled. Check out some of the "going rates" for the high-end stuff like the UHQRs.

HTH
cool.gif

NK

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi,

I would agree - to get the most dough for your collection you will have to sell them individually or in small lots. When I buy collections I pay less because there are always albums that don't resell or are in less than good condition.

The advantage of selling them in bulk is that you do not have to mess around with packaging and sending them all over. And of course the time putting up the ads etc... you get paid less for less work. And trust me, the packaging can get expensive. Plus folks are willing to overlook a less than perfect album in a collection but expect you to rate individual albums correctly when sold individually.

In my opinion, if you have some valuable albums you can use them as bait to sell them all as a whole collection for a reasonable price. If you want top dollar be prepared to work for the money - it will be worth it for the high dollar albums but may become much less rewarding for the more common titles.

Have fun and if you have a dollar amount you would take for the entire group, call me and we can talk - after all I am truly a vinyl junkie and it sounds like you have a nice fix...

Todd

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Todd, I did an inventory and sent you the list. Let me know what you think about this stuff. None of it has been played since 1990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back