Looking for the worst/least isolating IEM (but great bass and SQ needed)
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

oalex

New Head-Fier
Hi all and thanks for taking you time.

I need IEM for my cycling. I have been using FS M5 but after 2 year the broke. I got spoiled. I need something un par or even better, but this time without the increadible isolation.
The past 2 years were dangerous as I never heard car horns and stuff like that. But the M5 was so good that I just could stop wearing them.
Use will be with unamped Iaudio U3.

Whats the best money can buy? Reasonably of course.

Thanks for your input.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 24
I would recommend the Turbines due to their amazing bass response and output, but their isolation is too good, especially with the T400s I use.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 24
Perhaps the Sennheiser IE series - they are shallow-insertion IEMs so they don't isolate too much. Sound good, too, from what I've gathered. IE6/IE7/IE8 are all at different price points, so you may be able to pick out the one you can afford.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 24
If you can deal with the Frankenstein look, the TF10 has amazing bass response, and is often overlooked because the IE8's bass response is a little better. What the TF10 has is much better isolation.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the TF10 has is much better isolation.

...which is exactly what the OP does not want...

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...which is exactly what the OP does not want...

Oops read wrong >< thought he said he wanted incredible isolation. Never mind ><

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 24
Thank you guys.

I have been suggested (from a reliable source) the following too: V-Moda Vibe, the Head-Direct RE0, or the Hippo Boom, IE8.

I guess it will be either V-moda Vibe or IE8, has anyone heard both? Which sounds better and which has less isolation?

Thanks

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by oalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it will be either V-moda Vibe or IE8, has anyone heard both? Which sounds better and which has less isolation?

Thanks

Having owned the V-Moda Vibes, I can say that the answer to that is the IE8, on both counts.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Having owned the V-Moda Vibes, I can say that the answer to that is the IE8, on both counts.

I heard that V-moda has bad isolation. Was I informed wrong?

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I heard that V-moda has bad isolation. Was I informed wrong?

They have mediocre isolation (of course you can always use ill-fitting tips to make it worse), which is probably more than you want. I find all of my IEMs unacceptable for biking TBH. That's where conventional earbuds or portable cans come in.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

They have mediocre isolation (of course you can always use ill-fitting tips to make it worse), which is probably more than you want. I find all of my IEMs unacceptable for biking TBH. That's where conventional earbuds or portable cans come in.

Maybe I have funny ears, but to date all the ear-buds I tried have always fallen out (even without biking). When the M5 broke I too thought of portable cans and order a pair of KSC75 (which I thought a good idea as I can still wear a helmet with it), but the sound is very mediocre and very poor bass (I dont even know why I expected more with that price tag, on the other hand, they are the most comfortable things that I have ever worn). In the past I have also tried a few neck band type, but most very very uncomfortable due to the fact that I wear glasses.
I have a Beyer 770 Pro 80 Ohm, which are perfect too, but I can and will only use those in winter as they are too hot now.

I just read a review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...-cks70-434841/

Do you know anything about the: Audio Technica CKS70? According to that they are almost on par (asper bass) with the IE8 yet offer much worse isolation.

Do you know of any small (PX100/200, KSC75) size cans that do have good bass? I was under the impression that its one of their main weaknesses.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 24
True, earbuds aren't for everyone. I find the MX760 perfect with their footlong cord and zero isolation, though.

Quote:

\
Do you know anything about the: Audio Technica CKS70? According to that they are almost on par (asper bass) with the IE8 yet offer much worse isolation.

Do you know of any small (PX100/200, KSC75) size cans that do have good bass? I was under the impression that its one of their main weaknesses.

Never tried the Audio-Technicas but they sound perfect for your purposes. As for the portable bass, the iGrados and Portapros are the bassiest of the cheap ones, but the latter will not work with a helmet and the former aren't particularly comfortable.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 24
The JVC FX-500 is ported, so lets in some sound from the outside. And they sound great IMO as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back