Looking for the ultimate portable setup - advice needed!!
Jul 21, 2007 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

-+ApocalypsE+-

New Head-Fier
Hello to all here at this fantastic site!!

This is my first post and I need some some advice for an audiophile portable set up. After some research I have narrowed down my choice of source to:

1. 5G ipod imod
2. iriver - clix2
3. cowon - d2
4. kenwood - hd30 gb9
5. sony - hd5 (if i can find one!)

Has anyone conducted comparisons in sound quality to these units? Ideally my source would be amped by ray samuels hornet (m) or ray samuels sr-71 with ultimate ears pro 10. Thank you in advance for all your advice/comparisons/opinions.

-+ApocalypsE+-

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 22
the d2 is quite a popular player, its flash based and it has pretty good sound quality, its also way less expencive than the imod... also the imod REQUIRES an amp, but if you're getting one no matter what, or you already have one that doesnt really matter.

i suggest d2 or imod.

welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Cy

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 22
Offcourse iMod ipod and Kenwood HD30GB9 are the best in class for audiophiles. But it's also depend how you want to spend and your preferences. BTW the IEMs you mean UE10Pro or UE TF10Pro?.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi Cyrian,

Thanks for your opinion and yes the d2 is the less expensive option but the imod from reviews seems to be amazing. Do you know of any comparisons between the 2 units?

Hi Zarim,

I will be using the UE10pro. Do you know what the main differences in sound are between the imod and the kenwood? I am looking for a very clean and transparent sound.

Thanks guys

-+ApocalypsE+-

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 22
If you are using 10Pro then i beleive iMod ipod are the best because it's has no hiss at all and shows rich details in mids, highs with rich detailed bass. Kenwood is good too if you don't want to carry AMPs and cable(which is kind of extra bulk with iMod ipod) with you and i don't think it's any better than iMod ipod. Also iMod ALO Cotton dock cable has huge airy soundstage which is amazing if compare to other DAPs. To me the main difference is EQ on Kenwood which gives stellar choice of EQs to change the sound without disortion. But with iMod ipod you won't be realy enjoy the EQ setting because it's add some hrmc disortion.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 22
clean transparent sound i would say imod.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using 10Pro then i beleive iMod ipod are the best because it's has no hiss at all and shows rich details in mids, highs with rich detailed bass. Kenwood is good too if you don't want to carry AMPs and cable(which is kind of extra bulk with iMod ipod) with you and i don't think it's any better than iMod ipod. Also iMod ALO Cotton dock cable has huge airy soundstage which is amazing if compare to other DAPs. To me the main difference is EQ on Kenwood which gives stellar choice of EQs to change the sound without disortion. But with iMod ipod you won't be realy enjoy the EQ setting because it's add some hrmc disortion.

You make me want to purchase a Kenwood again!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 22
lol No doubt Kenwood DAPs are awesome and i will definitaly try them someday
icon10.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 22
Since you're jumping in head first, might as well go with the iMod.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by -+ApocalypsE+- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello to all here at this fantastic site!!

This is my first post and I need some some advice for an audiophile portable set up. After some research I have narrowed down my choice of source to:

1. 5G ipod imod
2. iriver - clix2
3. cowon - d2
4. kenwood - hd30 gb9
5. sony - hd5 (if i can find one!)

If you go the lossless route, then you should buy a hard drive DAP (30GB) most definately.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 22
ooh, i didnt even think of that, ofcourse you'll want an hd player, cuz you'll feel the need to upgrade all your music to lossless and high bitrate mp3s.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol No doubt Kenwood DAPs are awesome and i will definitaly try them someday
icon10.gif

Hahaha, why did you edit?
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Hey guys,

Thanks for your opinions and advice. My shortlist is down to either the imod or the kenwood. However would there be any significant differences when amping the kenwood with ray samuels hornet(m) or sr-71? To my understanding the kenwood doesn't have a line out so it would be a case of amping the headphone out. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

-+ApocalypsE+-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back