100+ Head-Fier
I've had a lot of trouble finding headphones meeting all these requirements:

1) Folding band
2) Swiveling earcups
3) Over ear but close to on-ear sized
4) Stable with good clamping force
5) Bluetooth with AptX
6) Aux 3.5 input. (2.5 if I must)
7) Slightly bass forward (slightly flabby bass is fine.)
8) Uncluttered mids (good separation)
9) Slightly rolled off highs
10) Stable BT connection
11) Under $150-200
12) 16-40 ohm (80 max)
13) Light weight preferred
14) Good Isolation and low leakage
15) Closed but with fairly wide and deep soundstage and decent imaging.

(On-ear would be ok if they do all the rest and still isolate.)

Does this even exist? Am I crazy for even asking? I've been looking for 3 months. :)

If I could just get MOST of these things I'd be mostly happy.

I kinda feel like I just described the holy grail. :)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 5
That sounds holy grail-ish to me haha but as for your request for 3.5mm headphone-side cable, it makes no difference if it's 3.5 or 2.5 :) they'll both likely have 3.5mm on the source end so it really doesn't matter. Good luck!

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 5
That sounds holy grail-ish to me haha but as for your request for 3.5mm headphone-side cable, it makes no difference if it's 3.5 or 2.5 :) they'll both likely have 3.5mm on the source end so it really doesn't matter. Good luck!

It matters to me.

2.5 is technically acceptable but not desirable. Partially because its sometimes a bit difficult to find a 2.5 to 3.5 on short notice and also because of the stupid trend of making proprietary sheathed cables where a standard 2.5 may not fit without major surgery.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 5
It matters to me.

2.5 is technically acceptable but not desirable. Partially because its sometimes a bit difficult to find a 2.5 to 3.5 on short notice and also because of the stupid trend of making proprietary sheathed cables where a standard 2.5 may not fit without major surgery.
The headphone would come with its own cable, you don't need to find one

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 5
The headphone would come with its own cable, you don't need to find one

If I am on vacation... and it breaks especially somewhere remote or rural... I'd be better off bringing plastic molds for the proprietary sheathing, shrinktube and a soldering gun to make a replacement than trying to buy something local. That is why I want a normal 3.5 jack. I couldn't even use a 2.5 adapter because of the stupid proprietary lock hole and sheathing. Please try to understand that I may have a different situational use case. The convenience of 3.5mm to 3.5mm is they can be found nearly anywhere quickly and easily. Even in a truck stop in the back end of nowhere. Perhaps you have never been to such places but I have.

The soldering part I can do fairly easily but would prefer not to bring a soldering iron with me on vacation. The second part is far harder. (Making a duplicate of the proprietary lock hole sheathe/connector.)

I could also just buy extras... but I'm looking for a fairly permanent "10-year" solution for headphones. Who knows when they will stop making the cables with the proprietary lock. If I am going to pay $200-$300 on a set of headphones I don't want to put up with that kind of BS. Period. I likely don't want to pay extra for proprietary cables when I can easily make replacements. (That are made out of better materials also.)

Call it a matter of principle if you like. I'm an ex recording engineer and I am used to being able to make my cables out of "Whatever the hell I feel like" making them out of. (Including how many conductors and what metal, dielectric and braiding/insulation material I choose.)

If they happen to sell extras of the connectors by themselves I could just buy extras of those to solder but I don't know of any headphone company that does that. Grado maybe?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back