Looking for the ultimate portable headphone
Jan 8, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been looking for the same thing as you for 2 years now. It doesn't really exist. The only good portable solution that I found was the Westone ES2. Based on other sets of ears that I trust, I would guess that the UE10 Pro would be on par, and the UE-11 would be an improvement, but so far the ES2 is the only custom-molded headphone in my arsenal. I have yet to hear a universal-fit IEM that just plain sounds good, and I've had most (though not the UE models).

... and that's about it. "Portable," "good sounding," and "easily driven" seems to be mutually exclusive, unless you're prepared to throw BIG BUCKS at it, or are willing to make some sacrifices in the portability department.

I think catscratch pretty much summed it up, although for many people, the SE530 and triple.fi 10 would probably be good enough.

Custom phones really do make a difference though. I personally only own the UE-10 pro (livewires on their way) and they are significantly better in all aspects compared to the triple.fi despite virtually identical drivers.

The Westone ES2s and UM2s also have similar if not the same drivers and pretty much everyone here who have compared the two say that the ES2s really improved on the main problems of the UM2s.

If price is not a big concern, customs are usually a good option to try.

Oh I forgot, comfort should not be an issue with properly fitted customs.

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 21
Another vote for ES W9's.

I'm one of the many people for whom IEM's just don't work. I went through some Sennheiser and AKG portables, including some mentioned here, and was never fully happy. Like many people here, I think the portable AT woodie is a remarkable thing: superbly musical, detailed, clear.

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #19 of 21
The best currently available is the Audio Technica ESW9. Having both the HD25-1s and the ESW9s, I much prefer the ATs in all respects except robustness - they may fold flatter for storage, but they look as if they are going to scratch fairly easily. They sound better with some degree of soundstage apparent, and they are more comfortable to wear.

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 21
I second the choice of the Edition 9 by Catscratch.

It is larger than the ATH-ESW9, true, costs more, yes. I would say that the size of the E9 constrains its level of convenience though.

But the sound is unbeatable. You can use it both portably and at home. Leaves you more spending cash for the rest of the rig.

If the ATH-ESW9 and E9 aren't for you, then I would recommend the AKG K81DJ. It ain't too shabby, and it has oodles of bass. That can is well loved here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back