Looking for the right sounding tube amp for 750-1000 for HD600s
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Luminette

1000+ Head-Fier
I wanted to ask for a short list of amps that people think I should consider and read more about, or try to listen to, as my next amp purchase. I'll be using HD600s with the hope of eventually switching over to an 800 s ref at some point.

I was about to buy a La Figaro 339 as I read nothing less than rave reviews about its pairing with the hd6XXs, but ran in to some awful customer service and wasted time. I may still end up trying to get one of those for myself, but I wanted to know what else is out there that I should check out for a really warm, dynamic, open and resolving amp in the 750-1k (and I am fine with buying something used) range to pair with the 600s.

Just wondering if any stand-outs come to mind that people might pass along for me to go reading up about.

A little more info: I did not really enjoy the WA6 that I tried a very long time ago, the presentation did not stand out as being very fun, although I honestly can't remember if I tried it with the HD600s specifically. I recently tried a bunch of Schiit setups at CanJam 2017 and was not left with the desire to own any of their product line.

I should also note that I prefer to have buttloads of power/current feeding these, as I am not okay with having to ever wonder or worry about whether they are being fully driven or not. But I would expect most amps in this price range to be taking care of this.

Thanks for your input :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 6
I've heard that the Bottlehead Crack is one of the best amps for the 600 and 650 by so many people, but it's under your budget. Honestly, I don't know if a $1k amp is going to be much of an upgrade from something like the Crack when you're using the 600's but that's just my 2 cents. The cans scale well but diminishing returns hits hard when you're comparing a 400 dollar amp to a 1000 dollar one. Good luck on the search!

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 6
Did you listen HD 600 with Schiit Mjolnir 2? I have that amp with HD 600 and it gives more bass and body to the sound overall. And with tubes you can customice sound you like. Also there is plenty of power to drive basicly any headphone.
Can´t wait till i get Gymby. Still few more month to go.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Bottlehead Crack is one I would put on the list for sure. Have yet to hear any of the Feliks but hear nothing but good things about them. Another to look at that is a bit over budget is Linear Tube Audio’s Microzotl 2 it is a very good amp that will run anything from the HD-800’s to Planars it also can be used as a pre amp or a speaker amp if you have very sensitive speakers and you can get a remote for it also. I have heard it with HD-800 , HE-1000 and Mr Speakers Ether-C’s probably a couple of others but can’t remember and did them all justice. Not a big fan of the Schiit tube amps either( had a Valhalla 2 and was way too solid state sounding but never rolled tubes in it) with maybe the Mjonir 2 being the exception but that was with my Ether-C’s and thought it was pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back