Looking for the right earphones
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ytisawfulnow

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to get some In ear headphones. My main headphone ever since 2011 has been the good old ATH-M50 which everyone certainly knows about. It's just always appealed to me the most even when compared to more high end headphones i've tried and I guess i'd like to get something that could be considered similar to the ATH-M50 sound wise in an In-ear headphone.
A sound signature that's similar to the ATH-M50s I think would be reasonably flat and well balanced, preferably on the warmer side, not too clinical, strident or dry sounding but a reasonably bright earphone, not too dark. I listen to a lot of rock music, folk music, music with natural instrumentation and production for the most part (Fleet foxes, Nick Drake, Neutral milk hotel, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, R.E.M., Radiohead, Slint) to name a few. I'd also be using them to play video games and maybe watch films sometimes, mostly for music.
I was interested in the Shure SE215's at first, they seemed very popular and well recieved but I don't think I'd like the bizarre way of wearing them and the noise cancellation doesn't appeal to me, obviously most in-ear headphones have decent isolation at the very least because they're creating a full seal right in your ear canal but I don't want something that's going to completely shut out the world around me, just decent isolation and minimal sound leakage.
Something very comfortable, under $200 prefered.
I've done some research and browsing through other forum posts but I can't quite seem to find what i'm looking for exactly so i'd like to know what you guys recommend and suggest. Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 14
For around $150, I recommend the LZ-A4. It comes with Tuning Filters so you can change the sound signature to your preference. I've listened to a lot of IEMs, and I think the LZ-A4 sits alone at the top of the sub $200 price range. Read a couple of reviews on head-fi, you'll be impressed at how they fare in comparison against more expensive IEMs :)

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 14
For around $150, I recommend the LZ-A4. It comes with Tuning Filters so you can change the sound signature to your preference. I've listened to a lot of IEMs, and I think the LZ-A4 sits alone at the top of the sub $200 price range. Read a couple of reviews on head-fi, you'll be impressed at how they fare in comparison against more expensive IEMs :)
Thanks, I'll give them a look!

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 14
I'd like to get some In ear headphones. My main headphone ever since 2011 has been the good old ATH-M50 which everyone certainly knows about. It's just always appealed to me the most even when compared to more high end headphones i've tried and I guess i'd like to get something that could be considered similar to the ATH-M50 sound wise in an In-ear headphone.
A sound signature that's similar to the ATH-M50s I think would be very flat and well balanced, preferably on the warmer side, not too clinical, strident or dry sounding. I listen to a lot of rock music, folk music, music with natural instrumentation and production for the most part (Fleet foxes, Nick Drake, Neutral milk hotel, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, R.E.M., Radiohead, Slint) to name a few. I'd also be using them to play video games and maybe watch films sometimes, mostly for music.
I was interested in the Shure SE215's at first, they seemed very popular and well recieved but I don't think I'd like the bizarre way of wearing them and the noise cancellation doesn't appeal to me, obviously most in-ear headphones have decent isolation at the very least because they're creating a full seal right in your ear canal but I don't want something that's going to completely shut out the world around me, just decent isolation and minimal sound leakage.
Something very comfortable, under $200 prefered.
I've done some research and browsing through other forum posts but I can't quite seem to find what i'm looking for exactly so i'd like to know what you guys recommend and suggest. Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

You want something neutral or something like the M50X? The M50X is the pretty far from "perceived neutral" in my opinion, as is the SE215.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 14
You want something neutral or something like the M50X? The M50X is the pretty far from "perceived neutral" in my opinion, as is the SE215.
I guess that's true, the M50s have a lot of colour and character, a bright sounding headphone but i'd still describe them as very well balanced. I've never heard the M50x, the M50's I use are the older model because I got them over 6 years ago but I imagine they'd sound pretty similar. Like the M50x then, I think the sort of music I listen to would fit an earphone with a slightly accentuated midrange and low end but i'm not a basshead at all, still a bit of a sparkle.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 14
Just a few suggestions, 1MORE triple driver earphone: not sealed, comfortable, good balanced sound, decent price. Also, I''ve heard some good opinions on the Fiio F9 (same as 1more it is not sealed or extremely in-ear), you might wanna check it out.

Aside: I really love the Campfire Audio Polaris. If you have more budget or decide to save for them, they are great for your taste and very comfortable.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 14
The 1 More Triple is on the warm side but not too much. I have those and the Quads I prefer the Quads myself. A bit more detail and bass and brighter but not strident. Both are fairly comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back