Looking for the Perfect "Open-Ear" Headphones.
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

supbrowawawa

Head-Fier
Alright well lets start off with a little background information about myself. I am just getting into the whole "audiophile" scene (about 1.5 months to be exact) but I do not consider myself to be an audiophile by any means.

List of headphones/IEM I own:

- Ultrasone HFI-580
- JVC RX700
- Monoprice (Kicker HP541) replica's

- Xears XE200PRO
- Meelectronics M9

Music genre I listen to in no specific order:

- Electro
- Trance
- Dubstep
- House
- Indie/dance
- Indie
- Pop
- Power pop
- Punk pop
- Alternative
- Hip-hop

Now I am looking for a set of "open-ear" cans to go along with my collection. As you can probably tell, I enjoy bass. Though, since I already own the HFI-580's, my bass cans, I'm not looking for another pair of bass cans. However, that doesn't mean I don't want any bass at all. I need bass in my life.

I'm looking for something with great sound-stage along with all that other goodness. I've done some research and a lot of people seem to recommend the sennheiser HD 598 and the 558, which by the way, I've heard that the 558's can sound just like the 598's with a simple mod.

I've also heard that the Fischer Audio FA-011 are absolutely amazing, and I'm in love with their exterior looks, simply beautiful. Side question here though, what's the difference between the FA-011 and the FA-003 sound wise?

I was also considering the Audio Technica AD700, but their lack of bass and poor looks kills it for me.

Also, These will mainly be used through my Xonar DG which I plan on upgrading with a Creative Titanium HD VERY soon. As for an amp, I only have a Fiio e6.

Well, I'm still new to the scene so any other Open-ear can recommendations are more than welcomed. As for my budget, I would like to keep it around the $150 mark, but I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it. Less is best though.

Oh and I forgot to add, comfort is an ABSOLUTE MUST! These will be worn for upon hours a day. 

Thanks in advance! 

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 15
$150?! Hmmmm that's a tough one, specially if its an open can. I'm sure the good folks here on head-fi will help you out cause i'm stumped.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 15
The Grado SR-60i and SR-80i are two open sets well within that price range.  Bass isn't their strongest suit, but is certainly present, just not boomy.  People disagree quite a lot on comfort level with them, so hard to predict how you would like them.  Lack of soundstage would seem to put them low on the list of headphones fitting your needs however.

The  AKG 240 Studio is semi open---don't know if that fits into your requirements, but isn't bass heavy either.  From your description, the FA-011's would seem to be one of the best fits.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Nothing is perfect 

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Why do you want open cans? What do you need from them that you aren't getting from your current headphones?

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 15
In that case Grados wouldn't work, nor would the K240. What about the Senn HD555?

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 15
I cannot see how a HD555 or HD558 is going to tickle your fancy when you already have an Ultrasone 580.

Just my opinion but I'd be looking at the HD598 at a *minimum* ~ stretch it out to a second hand HD600 if
you can.

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
I cannot see how a HD555 or HD558 is going to tickle your fancy when you already have an Ultrasone 580.

Just my opinion but I'd be looking at the HD598 at a *minimum* ~ stretch it out to a second hand HD600 if
you can.

Agreed, just save up a bit more. If you want to be "wow'd" then you gotta pay that "wow" price tag that comes along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back