Looking for the perfect headphones for <$200 - HELP!
Nov 28, 2007 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm new to buying nice headphones, but I want to do my research so I can get the best possible headphones for less than $200. I am looking for a pair of phones that have good highs, mids and, of course, bass, and that will sound good with an Ipod (I know, they don't sound very good as far as mp3 players go, but oh well.) Because I like to listen to music on the go, it would be great if they were efficient too. I am not interested in noise canceling features, and am not too concerned with shutting outside noise out, or keeping my music in either, for that matter. My taste in music is primarily classic rock, although I listen to almost everything, from rap, hiphop, r & b, to blues, bluegrass, country, classical, to metal and punk. Needless to say, very eclectic. Anyway, I was hoping that you guys could help me out with finding the right headphones, thanks.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 42
Only headphones? How sbout JBL 220 Reference canalphones?

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 42
It's a good thing you don't care for noise canceling, noise isolation or noise leakage, and also will be using it ampless.

A Grado SR 225 fits right in the budget, even if you buy it new (that's if you're in the US).

You have other options like the HD 595, but the SR 225 is more portable and in my opinion, sounds better unamped.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...sound good with an Ipod ... I am not interested in noise canceling features, and am not too concerned with shutting outside noise out, or keeping my music in either, for that matter. My taste in music is primarily classic rock, although I listen to almost everything, from rap, hiphop, r & b, to blues, bluegrass, country, classical, to metal and punk.

Check out the ATH-ES7, MS1, HD25-1 (II), or PK2.

There is nothing as perfect. We're all hear differently. My personal choice is the PK1, but they need a good amp to hear the real beast.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 42
I would think that for about $100 you could buy a little cmoy amp and a pair nice 'phones, for example PX100s. Really great phones tend to need a decent amp to meet expectations.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 42
Aren't we all...

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 42
Another vote for ES7.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 42
You could definitely order a nice cMoy on ebay for around $50 and then get the PK1 and have a really nice set up.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echel0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only headphones? How sbout JBL 220 Reference canalphones?

I just recently bought a pair of Senn Cx300's, my first canalphone purchase, but I still feel that you just can't compare anything to a good pair of headphones.

As for amps, I would love to find headphones that ran well without one, but would probably go for an amp most of the time anyway.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 42
Screw it! Assorted is right. Go with the SR225's and piss everyone off
wink.gif
They sound great. They'll beat any of these closed headphones and in-ears handily IMO.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 42
I agree. 225s sound amazing. Just recently got a pair, and even though they're very fatiguing I'm addicted to the sound. Trying to burn mine in and listen at lower volumes and hopefully my ears will adjust. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it. I'm hooked on the Grado signature. And although an amp will improve them, I think they sound really nice unamped.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doo Doo Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. 225s sound amazing. Just recently got a pair, and even though they're very fatiguing I'm addicted to the sound. Trying to burn mine in and listen at lower volumes and hopefully my ears will adjust. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it. I'm hooked on the Grado signature. And although an amp will improve them, I think they sound really nice unamped.

Maybe try swapping pads. I found my HD414 pads to be less bright than the bowls. The flats are supposed to help even more.

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pannayar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For portable listening, consider the sennheiser px100, koss ksc75. These are sub $50 anyway.

GOOD CALL, I like both of those a lot.

You could get the px100 for $40 many places, get the penguin amp cmoy for $43 on ebay, and get some used PK1s for about $110. The px100 are stylish, comfortable, strong bass, and a little clearer then the ksc75. The PK1 are probably the best earbuds on the market period and have great sound with an amp from all opinions I've seen.

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 42
A lot of you are suggesting the Sr225's, but are they good for everyday portability with the 1/4" jack? I would have to use them with an adapter all the time, but is that still ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back