Looking for the next level / step up from Hifiman HE-500
Jun 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TinyTempo

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

first time poster here. So, first things first: Greetings from Hamburg, Germany. :)

I have enjoyed my Hifiman HE-500 via a Meier Audio Corda Jazz amplifier for almost 2 years now, but since I just ordered a new Oppo HA-10 amplifier, I figured this is a good time to go hunting for a new pair of head phones as well. The HE-500 already work great for enjoying my music (better than my AKG 712 Pro which I use for mixing when playing around with Ableton Live), but I think for a change I could use a bit more clarity without missing the bottom end & punchy bass. 

My maximum budget is $2k, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit less. So, which ones do you suggest? 

Thanks in advance!
Markus

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Except for the HE-6, which your amp will probably not be able to drive properly, we can give you different but not necessarily better.

Rich, dark goodness comes with the LCD-3, but you'll lose the sweet and extended neutrality of the HE-500.

The HD 800 delivers a great sound stage, but does not have the body of HE-500.  The Senn is very unforgiving and some find it to be too bright.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 3
I just listened to the HE-6, it is too close to my HE-500, not much difference and hence not worth it. I also listened to the Audeze LCD-XC, but that one is closed, so not entirely my cup of tea. But I enjoyed its bass power :)

I also tried two Grados (1000-something), and I hated both. Not even close to the Hifimans. That's all the dealer had currently in his shop. Next time, in a couple of weeks, I'll try the Audeze LCD 3, some Stax, the HD-800 and the Oppo PM-1.

Cheers,
Markus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back