Looking for the next level...post HiFiman HE1000 V2
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Clay49

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings, oh wise audio sages, masters of frequency response, measure-ers of all things musical. I am on a quest for the next level of audio bliss, and am looking to treat my ears to “just a bit more” of all things...sound stage, dynamics, accurate frequency response across the spectrum, and clarity.

I just sold me HE1000 V2 headphones, which I really enjoyed for the most part, but ended up preferring my Empire Ears Legend EVO because they just gave me a bit “more” of everything, especially clarity and articulation (even thought the bass is a bit more than what’s actually there, but I’m okay with that).

I began to notice in my HE1000 V2 that the the mids were a bit accentuated when listening to recordings, such as David Benoit, jazz pianist. I’ve been a professional musician all my adult life (40+ years), and so I know what a Steinway piano sounds like, and there is an artificial “something” in the mids of the HE 1000V2 that I don’t here in my EVO...the EVO is true to what I know for piano tones. Let me also add that, at 60 years of age, I am beginning to lose the highest treble frequencies a bit, so I’m not afraid of quality headphones that have a little more treble sizzle.

At any rate, I as contemplate my next headphone purchase, what is out there that goes beyond what the HE1000 V2 offers? I’m looking to buy used so I’m hoping to keep this between the 3-4.5 range. I know that brings in the Susvara, Utopia, etc...any others that can take things to the “next” level?

My gear, at the moment: A&K KANN Alpha DAP - Audiolab 6000CDT - DROP XDUOO TA-30 Tube DAC/AMP

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're looking at HiFiMan the Susvara is the only thing that's better than the HE1000V2 in their current line-up. Some would argue the Arya Stealth is better than the HEKV2 with the right equipment as it's less picky, especially with a DAP.

Susvara doesn't help you with your current setup though as you need a lot more power to run them.

Maybe Utopia 2022? They don't stage though so you might have to compromise with that attribute.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 10
If you're looking at HiFiMan the Susvara is the only thing that's better than the HE1000V2 in their current line-up. Some would argue the Arya Stealth is better than the HEKV2 with the right equipment as it's less picky, especially with a DAP.

Susvara doesn't help you with your current setup though as you need a lot more power to run them.

Maybe Utopia 2022? They don't stage though so you might have to compromise with that attribute.
I’ve heard rumblings about the Arya stealth…may have to give those a test run, thanks!

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Outside of the Susvara, electrostatic might be what you're looking for.

If not, I'd suggest trying the D8000 Pro and Solitaire P.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Outside of the Susvara, electrostatic might be what you're looking for.

If not, I'd suggest trying the D8000 Pro and Solitaire P.
Yeah. I'd agree with that. I prefer warmer headphones so I lean more to the D8000 as it's less bright compared to the Pro but both are solid choices.

I sold my HE1000 V2 as well and bought back an Arya Stealth. For my source gear the pairing of the Stealth is much better and I have no desire to upgrade my source gear.

I would've kept the HEKV2 if I had different pairings but found the treble a bit too bright for my tastes. I think the treble on the Arya Stealth is the best that HiFiMan has ever tuned, it's certainly the best that i've ever heard and prefer it (specifically in the treble) to the Susvara. If you want more of a side grade maybe pick up a Stealth and use the rest of the money on something else?

I bought the Arya Stealth as well as an Aeon Noire and Vivo 4.4mm cable for what I sold my HEKV2 for so I think that's well worth doing.

If looking to end game I'd pick up a Susvara, buy better source gear and exit the hobby for a while.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 10
You might have a look at the DCA Expanse a very good headphone with great detail , soundstage and super comfortable. I do like the Susvara a lot but you definitely need quite a bit of power to run them.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 10
You might have a look at the DCA Expanse a very good headphone with great detail , soundstage , super comfortable and easy to drive. I do like the Susvara a lot but you definitely need quite a bit of power to run them.
Would the DCA Expanse work well with my gear?: A&K KANN Alpha DAP - Audiolab 6000CDT - DROP XDUOO TA-30 Tube DAC/AMP

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Would the DCA Expanse work well with my gear?: A&K KANN Alpha DAP - Audiolab 6000CDT - DROP XDUOO TA-30 Tube DAC/AMP
When I said easy to drive that was from my HiBy R6Pro and iFi iDSD Diablo both on balanced connections and comparing to my Diana TC’s so should not have said easy to drive though at the time they were easier to drive compared to the TC’s sorry for any confusion and have edited my post so others don’t get the wrong impression. It looks as though Dan recommends 1 watt and the HiBy is 750 mW @ 32 ohms and the Diablo is just shy of 5 watts @ 32 ohms .
AK doesn’t give mW specs and just VRMS no load specs so hard to say what it will drive.
The TA-30 do seem to have the power and if your HE-1000’s were fine running from it would seem to be fine. Some tube amps mostly some OTL’s don’t play well with low impedance planars .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back