Looking for the magic in the mids
Jan 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

worldtipper

Head-Fier
I recently picked up a pair of HE400's and was really blown away. I had HD650's at the time and before purchasing the hifiman's I saw the comparison between the two as "boring vs impressive". The HE400's definitely have a more impressive sound, not to say the 650's are boring but they don't "wow" in the same way. Ultimately I do miss the 650's but I don't have the luxury of keeping them all around.

Anywho, after a week of serenade from the HE400's I got some Rega RS1 bookshelf speakers. There's literally nothing bad said about them and much praise on the fun, musical sound they give. My first impression was not good however! They were so nasally and dry sounding, I thought "what the hell were all these people on about?" However once my ears acclimated to the forward mids, I fell in love. The magic (or music) really lives in the mids.

So in hopes of finding a set of phones that better matched my Rega's, I grabbed some Grado SR225i's. The fact was the HE400' were the exact opposite sound sig wise to my Rega's that it drove me nuts. The grados gave me that sweet midrange presence but I can't get used to the continuation of presence up into the treble. My Rega's have a very detailed but mellow treble. To me they just sound very balanced and natural, and that is what I'm hoping to find in a pair of phones.

My current pick for such a sound would be Sennheiser HD598's. I was thinking the HD600's might fit the bill but from what I read the 598's have the more forward mids, and that's something I need. As far as bass, all I need is it to be presented well whether lean of bumped up a bit. From what you've read from my massive post, do I seem like I'm on the righ path? Especially looking for any mentions of phones that I haven't looked into yet in hope of a better match. The 598's do entice me in that the don't need serious amplification to do their thing, as I'd rather but that money into my stereo system.

I'm currently running a Schiit Vali/Modi stack which I think would be suitable. Also not opposed to downgrading if my Schiit stack is more than is needed for the 598's. Thanks for reading and looking forward to any help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back