Looking for the impossible - good headphones with built in player
Oct 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_a500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from my Sony boycott, I just read this review:

"I've now spent two hours on the phone trying to get a reasonable response from Sony regarding expedited replacement of my second NWZ - W202. I was told by their tech support that these are being returned by the dozen. My intuition is that the open mini-usb port on the headset allows sweat to wick into the unit... not a very slick design element for something specifically designed for the gym. Please heed my advice - this is a no go..."

I don't think I'll go for it. Besides, I'd rather have headphones than earbuds.

You're right about the Sony boycott, for a while now their products have been pretty disappointing, they used to be innovators but now they're just following the crowd.

But back to the bluetooth option, do you carry a phone around with you?
Cause there are now pretty decent bluetooth headphones out there, Nokia BH-905 for example (mind you, those particular headphones are damn expensive) or the Jabra BT8030.

I had a shuffle 2gb for a while, and although this wasn't enough space to store my music, I found it very difficult getting a particular song to play without a screen, and you'll probably have the same problem with any headphone/mp3 over 2gb.

And as for the dangling wires problem, maybe you should just tuck your headphone cables under your hoodie/shirt.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #18 of 24
I'm still having problems finding what I'm looking for. In desperation for something without wires, I just bought an intova H2OMan, but it absolutely SUCKS! Sound quality is pure garbage and it doesn't fit in the ears or on the head properly. On top of all that, it has that ultra-stupid "press and hold" to turn on and off! (What?? Does everything have to have "press and hold" and slow boot/shutdown times? Whatever happened to instant on, instant off??)

I think I'll give up on all these all-in-one headsets (they all seem to be cheap Chinese-designed crap) and go back to my plan of sticking a good small player on good quality headphones. (...now to find a player that has a friggin on/off switch!)

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 24
Jan 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_a500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that would mean I would have a dangling wire from headphones to player. My main reason for wanting this is not to have dangling wires. I've tangled and violently ripped earbuds and headphones off my head more times than I can count. I'm tired of it. I'm surprised everybody doesn't want headphones with built in player.

You could always wear the headphone cable in you shirt and have a small player like the Clip+ attached to the waist of you pants, or the pocket. Or, the Clip can be put on an arm band and a headphone with a short cable can again be run under your clothes.

Quote:

The ultimate test for a portable setup... can it be worn naked? (....not that that's a specific goal of mine, but it's a bit tedious to carry a "brick on a string" and have to carry it in a pocket or clip it somewhere)

Oh, it seems you are either walking around your place nude, or hang out in nudist colonies. In that case, I guess my under your shirt though is out. Maybe an arm band player and wrap the cord around your chest or other body parts
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Very Legal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Maybe you can strap a clip on one of these suckers. Has on/off button, very rugged, lots of space inside at least on one side. SQ... well, maybe you can mod it with some hd800 drivers. Dayum it also have noise cancelling. The best bang for bucks since the Volkswagen Beetle of you ask me ;o)
PELTOR WORKTUNES DIGITAL AM/FM TUNING *MP3 COMPATIBLE* - eBay (item 250491064191 end time Jan-28-10 06:31:43 PST)

That's pretty cool. Browse around for "electronic earmuffs" to see other brands. Peltor seems to be one of the big ones.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Very Legal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Maybe you can strap a clip on one of these suckers. Has on/off button, very rugged, lots of space inside at least on one side. SQ... well, maybe you can mod it with some hd800 drivers. Dayum it also have noise cancelling. The best bang for bucks since the Volkswagen Beetle of you ask me ;o)
PELTOR WORKTUNES DIGITAL AM/FM TUNING *MP3 COMPATIBLE* - eBay (item 250491064191 end time Jan-28-10 06:31:43 PST)

That's interesting - and I'm sure the noise cancelling is pretty good. I've got something like that though (just the sound blocker) and they're pretty bulky. They also get hot fast. I don't think I'd like to run with something like that on. (it'd look a bit silly too) The player isn't built in so I'd have to somehow attach it anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, it seems you are either walking around your place nude, or hang out in nudist colonies. In that case, I guess my under your shirt though is out. Maybe an arm band player and wrap the cord around your chest or other body parts
wink.gif

Yeah. Does anybody make a player that straps on your penis? I could really use one of those.
biggrin.gif

No, I'm not a nudist (...usually). I just really really hate dangling wires that get snagged on everything. (...including my penis)

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 24
You can do a simple DIY project. Find a nice set of cans with a removable cable that only needs 1 entry port. Find a shorter 3.5mm cable and connect it to a ultrasmall mp3 player like the Zen Stone, Ipod Shuffle, Sony S2, Sony NWZ-B143, Iriver S10, etc..., and place it directly on the cans. Its a simple project and you can be as creative as you want. I havent researched the ultra small players, but there should be a ton of options, im talking about smaller than the Sansa Clip.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 24
Yes, I suggest that in my first post. The problem is finding "nice set of cans with a removable cable that only needs 1 entry port". There's the AKG K450, but I've heard they suck. (can anybody confirm that they don't suck?) The size and style seem perfect though. (flat side is good for sticking player)

I also haven't yet found a player smaller than the Sansa Clip that:
1. Doesn't suck
2. Has at least 8Gb (or contains an SDHC/microSDHC slot to add at least 4Gb)
3. Has an actual ON/OFF switch that isn't "press & hold"

I'd appreciate any suggestions for headphones & players that fit what I'm looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

(Otherwise, I'm back to my idea of Denon AH-D1001K + Sansa Clip.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back