Looking for the endgame for me, he400i or dt1990?
Feb 12, 2017 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nachash

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for the endgame hps. I prefer a balanced detailed hp over a v-shapy one, and I was torn between the he400i (around 320€/$340) and the DT1990 (500€/$530). I've never owned a planar headphone, but there are some stuff about the he400i that I don't like... for example the dual cable instead of the single one and the durability.

One thing that I don't like about some headphones is the fact that you spend a third of the price on pads (AKG, Sennheiser) so I prefer a company with cheaper prices on pads.

I usually listen to Rock/Metal and movies with the DT150, while I use my K701 with Prog/Live/Jazz if that may be useful.

I have the magni2/modi2uber combo and I'm not planning to change it, it doesn't matter if open/closed and I'm open to different headphones that the one that I mentioned.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Seems to me like youre pretty set with your Jazz/Prog/Live headset...all three sound great with a wide soundstage,which the K701 has.

As far as metal/rock I guess it depends on what type of sound you prefer to hear those genres.I personally like headphones with forward mids to bring the vocals and guitars out,along with a nice meaty midbass thump.

I havent heard the DT1990 so take this with a grain of salt,but having owned DT770,DT990 and T1 previously,I didnt like Beyers for rock and metal,but YMMV.

400i will work,but it seems like you have issues with build quality,which I can understand.

Headphones that I own/owned/heard that I like for rock and metal are:

Grado 325e~will work
HE-500~will need a better amp
AKG K240 sextetts~discontinued,hard to find
Mr.Speakers AEON~$$$
ZMF Atticus~$$$$,prolly needs a better amp
ZMF Eikon~$$$$$,prolly needs a better amp

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, I didn't liked the DT990 either for metal. Too v-shapy for me, but the DT150 is a beyer and it's a great all-arounder albeit its nature of being a closed headphone

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 16
There's also the Bowers & Wilkins P7 which looks pretty nice, any help? Pretty please
atsmile.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 16
  There's also the Bowers & Wilkins P7 which looks pretty nice, any help? Pretty please
atsmile.gif

The P7 is a nice headphone. It does have a bass emphasis, which you may or may not like. Detailed, though and comfortable, IMO. Another you might consider is the NAD HP50, which is one of the most neutral headphones anywhere. Very detailed with a spacious stage. Beautifully made. Another consideration you may not have thought about is the HD650. I have the 600 and am listening to metal right now. It sounds awesome. Exquisitely detailed with beautiful instrument separation. More of an intimate soundstage than, say, the 598 or the 400i. The 650 has more bass than the 600 and a bit less treble extension, but otherwise, they are quite similar. It's a thought for you. It may be too similar to your 701, but that's for you to decide.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Here's a topic with a highly-detailed chart of headphones for rock music: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 16
  The P7 is a nice headphone. It does have a bass emphasis, which you may or may not like. Detailed, though and comfortable, IMO. Another you might consider is the NAD HP50, which is one of the most neutral headphones anywhere. Very detailed with a spacious stage. Beautifully made. Another consideration you may not have thought about is the HD650. I have the 600 and am listening to metal right now. It sounds awesome. Exquisitely detailed with beautiful instrument separation. More of an intimate soundstage than, say, the 598 or the 400i. The 650 has more bass than the 600 and a bit less treble extension, but otherwise, they are quite similar. It's a thought for you. It may be too similar to your 701, but that's for you to decide.

I've never heard of those before, they seems nice and they're even cheaper that the one that I mentioned.
My favorite sound signature is the unfunny one, neutral and detailed.

Oh, about the HD650... I prefer to skip over AKG/Sennheiser because of how expensive those pads are. Stupid reason I know...
Here's a topic with a highly-detailed chart of headphones for rock music: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Thanks

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 16
  Hi, I'm looking for the endgame hps. I prefer a balanced detailed hp over a v-shapy one, and I was torn between the he400i (around 320€/$340) and the DT1990 (500€/$530). I've never owned a planar headphone, but there are some stuff about the he400i that I don't like... for example the dual cable instead of the single one and the durability.

One thing that I don't like about some headphones is the fact that you spend a third of the price on pads (AKG, Sennheiser) so I prefer a company with cheaper prices on pads.

I usually listen to Rock/Metal and movies with the DT150, while I use my K701 with Prog/Live/Jazz if that may be useful.

I have the magni2/modi2uber combo and I'm not planning to change it, it doesn't matter if open/closed and I'm open to different headphones that the one that I mentioned.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Maybe check around for a good deal on a used Beyer T90.
It's my preferred headphone for all audio.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 16
Is there a neutral planar alternative to the HE400i with a decent build quality? Or at least some really good neutral (open/closed) headphone in the range of $500.

Throw me your best boring headphone that you have please.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 16
  Is there a neutral planar alternative to the HE400i with a decent build quality? Or at least some really good neutral (open/closed) headphone in the range of $500.

Throw me your best boring headphone that you have please.

Did you research the Aeon? Its 699.00 pre-order right now on the Mr.Speakers site...its a damn nice sounding headphone,and incredibly comfortable.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back