Looking for the correct headphones (max 300 euro)
Dec 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tom P

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the best over ear headphone for max 300 euro.

I've done a bit of research and a lot of sites/people recommended this forum. I use my headphone a lot, at least 2-3 hours a day. The music I like is mainly drum and bass and some R&B but also commercial music. I also wear it to block out the noice when I'm studying. But as I have a pretty 'cheap' headphone (Sennheiser HD205, like 45 euro) it doesn't block out that much noice :wink:.

I was thinking about the bose quitecomfort 15, but when I read this forum everyone was saying bose sucks... From what I've read/heard from review about the quitecomfort 15 is that the noice cancelling should be awesome, but the sound isn't as good as you would expect from a 275euro headphone. Especially the base would be pretty bad. And this is my concern about this headphone.

Another headphone i found was the PSB M4U 2, but it's out of my price range, however it looked pretty nice!

So here's the kind of headhone I'm looking for;
- An over ear headphone (!)
- A good overal sound quality
- Not a weak bass, but also not a to heavy bass! (So I guess just a normal bass :p?)
- As I'm wearing my headphones a few hours after each other sometimes it shouldn't hurt my ears after a long time of wearing the headphones.
- Noise cancelling would be nice as I use them to block the sound when I'm studying.

I hope there's a headphone that matches mostly with my requirements.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 10
have you looked at DT 770 32 Ohm?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553292/beyerdynamic-dt990-32-ohm-review-crisp-sound-with-perhaps-a-touch-of-grey-eq-poupon-5megapixel-photos
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594364/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-limited-edition-32-ohms

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 10
er headphone i found was the PSB M4U 2, but it's out of my price range, however it looked pretty nice!
So here's the kind of headphone I'm looking for;
- An over ear headphone (!)
- A good overal sound quality
- Not a weak bass, but also not a to heavy bass! (So I guess just a normal bass :p?)
- As I'm wearing my headphones a few hours after each other sometimes it shouldn't hurt my ears after a long time of wearing the headphones.
- Noise cancelling would be nice as I use them to block the sound when I'm studying.

It would help to know which sources your plugging the headphones into?

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 10
I've read about the DT 770 32 Ohm, and they do look nice. But i would prefer some noice cancellation instead of noice isolation.

This one looks nice: Sennheiser PXC 450. Does someone has some experience with those?

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 10
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-pxc-450-active-noise-canceling-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/245578/review-sennheiser-pxc-450-noisegard-2-0

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 10

I didn't know this matters? Why does it matter? Sorry, i'm really not into all the different headphones...
Anyway, I would plug it in in my (Asus) laptop & iPod nano 5th generation.

Cheers

Because something like a A/V receiver and a portable audio player would work best with very different headphones, the portable audio player would work best with lower impedance headphones and a A/V receiver would work best with a high impedance headphones.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 10
  Because something like a A/V receiver and a portable audio player would work best with very different headphones, the portable audio player would work best with lower impedance headphones and a A/V receiver would work best with a high impedance headphones.

Oh thanks for the explanation. 

I went to the shop today and I had the chance to try out some headphones. And one of them was really sublime, the sennheiser momentum over the ear version. The sound quality was really awesome and the bass was just perfect. The only disadvantage was that it didn't have noice cancelling. I've read the review on this site and it was pretty positive however some people said it wasn't worth the money. Is this true? Is there a headphone which is even better for the same price (285euro)? 

I also found out that the bose headphone was very good at cancelling out the low tones, but almost none of the higher tones. And when i just used the noice cancelling and didn't play any music, there was some kind of zoom in my ears, so that's not handy when I'm studying. I guess i'll just buy myself a pair of ear plugs...

Anyway, is the sennheiser momentum over the ears a good headphone for me? I also looked for the impedance as you guys said it was important. It is 18 ohm, so that's just fine for an ipod and a pc, right? I'm pretty convinced that this headphone is awesome as the sound is just maginficant, but I would appreciate the commentary of the people who know a lot about headphones.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 10
  Oh thanks for the explanation. 

I went to the shop today and I had the chance to try out some headphones. And one of them was really sublime, the Sennheiser momentum over the ear version. The sound quality was really awesome and the bass was just perfect. The only disadvantage was that it didn't have noice cancelling. I've read the review on this site and it was pretty positive however some people said it wasn't worth the money. Is this true? Is there a headphone which is even better for the same price (285euro)? 

I also found out that the Bose headphone was very good at cancelling out the low tones, but almost none of the higher tones. And when i just used the noice cancelling and didn't play any music, there was some kind of zoom in my ears, so that's not handy when I'm studying. I guess i'll just buy myself a pair of ear plugs...

Anyway, is the Sennheiser momentum over the ears a good headphone for me? I also looked for the impedance as you guys said it was important. It is 18 ohm, so that's just fine for an ipod and a pc, right? I'm pretty convinced that this headphone is awesome as the sound is just maginficant, but I would appreciate the commentary of the people who know a lot about headphones.

I would think 18-Ohm is fine for quality portable audio players (iPod), but there might(?) be an impedance issue with the PC (on-board audio), would not know for sure until the Momentum was plugged into your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back