Looking for the Best OVER ear headphones with Strong bass and crisp/clear mids and highs
Jan 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JustDefy

New Head-Fier
Well the title says it all I am looking for my frst Audiophile grade headphones.
I currently am using AIAIAI TMA-1s and i really like the bass on those theyre good
headphones but its time for something better.

Ive been looking at 4 in perticular.

audio technica ath ad1000x

audio technica ath ad900x

beyerdynamic dt880 250ohmz

and beyerdynamic dt990 250ohmz

Looking for honest opinions and differences
as i am new to this tier of headphones.

I will be using the o2dac/amp

open to other brands of headphones but looking for solid strong bass and crisp/clear mids

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi,

DT880 and DT990 are quite different headphones. Beyerdynamic defines DT880 as "Very neutral headphones" and DT990 as "Analytical and High Resolution headphones"

That said, DT990s have less midrange quantity but more transparency. DT990 mids are more detailed and textured. DT990s also have different 'soundstage', being more airy and full.

DT990 bass is powerful but fast and don't bleed into the mids, some people can find it to be excesive.

Something interesting about how DT990 reproduces bass notes is that they often sound centered and seem to come from a certain distance, not 'headphone-like'.

Last but not least, DT990 is definitely a bright headphone, then it is really unforgiving of over bright / ultra-compressed music and tend to accentuate sibilance present on most recordings.

On the other hand DT880s are 'very neutral headphones' just a little bit on the bright side but they sound soft and smooth in comparison with DT990.

Its soundstage is still very good and its bass is fast and precise. This are also really detailed sounding headphones but not as much as DT990.

Definitely a more relaxing sound signature that fit better with a wide spectrum of recordings.

Both are really good headphones, each in his own way.

Best Luck!

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 16
I've only heard the DT-990 250 ohm out of the headphones on your list, but they fit the bill for solid, strong bass. The mids are crisp and clear enough IMO, but they aren't as emphasized as the bass and treble. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 16
  Hi,

DT880 and DT990 are quite different headphones. Beyerdynamic defines DT880 as "Very neutral headphones" and DT990 as "Analytical and High Resolution headphones"

That said, DT990s have less midrange quantity but more transparency. DT990 mids are more detailed and textured. DT990s also have different 'soundstage', being more airy and full.

DT990 bass is powerful but fast and don't bleed into the mids, some people can find it to be excesive.

Something interesting about how DT990 reproduces bass notes is that they often sound centered and seem to come from a certain distance, not 'headphone-like'.

Last but not least, DT990 is definitely a bright headphone, then it is really unforgiving of over bright / ultra-compressed music and tend to accentuate sibilance present on most recordings.

On the other hand DT880s are 'very neutral headphones' just a little bit on the bright side but they sound soft and smooth in comparison with DT990.

Its soundstage is still very good and its bass is fast and precise. This are also really detailed sounding headphones but not as much as DT990.

Definitely a more relaxing sound signature that fit better with a wide spectrum of recordings.

Both are really good headphones, each in his own way.

Best Luck!

how loud is the noise while wearing it at an average level, since they are semi open ?only ever had closed back

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 16
   how loud is the noise while wearing it at an average level, since they are semi open ?only ever had closed back

Well, this headphones are not intended for use in noisy environments. Beyerdynamic DT880 (Semi Open) do not provide any isolation between 20Hz and 1500Hz and DT990 (Fully Open) provide even less isolation.

In noisy environments you simply hear the superposition of outside noise (with atenuated high frequencies) and your music. The result is not good in terms of fidelity neither in terms of enjoyment, at least for me.

This headphones really shine in quiet places. It's the price you have to pay to get a smooth frequency response, improved soundstage, and overall better sound quality.

Do you need isolation?

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 16

Well, this headphones are not intended for use in noisy environments. Beyerdynamic DT880 (Semi Open) do not provide any isolation between 20Hz and 1500Hz and DT990 (Fully Open) provide even less isolation.

In noisy environments you simply hear the superposition of outside noise (with atenuated high frequencies) and your music. The result is not good in terms of fidelity neither in terms of enjoyment, at least for me.

This headphones really shine in quiet places. It's the price you have to pay to get a smooth frequency response, improved soundstage, and overall better sound quality.

Do you need isolation?

Not really i have a pair of AIAIAI for on the train and what not

but i do have a roomate.... he can be loud and the upstairs can be noisy

the whole open can thing is new to me

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 16
You can also consider Shure SRH-840. Closed Back headphones with good bass and still pretty natural and detailed sound. They come with extra pads and detacheable cable.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 16
I have never heard the o2dac/amp. But I can speak from my personal experience with the 990/250's. The 990's running off my E12 have much less bass then from my BAOcean. Same source, no EQ. I don't even plug them into the E12 anymore, they just fit my tastes more out of the BAO. I also find the "bass boost" on the E12 does nothing more than throw mud all over the signature, IMO.

What about the Fidelio X1?

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 16
  I have never heard the o2dac/amp. But I can speak from my personal experience with the 990/250's. The 990's running off my E12 have much less bass then from my BAOcean. Same source, no EQ. I don't even plug them into the E12 anymore, they just fit my tastes more out of the BAO. I also find the "bass boost" on the E12 does nothing more than throw mud all over the signature, IMO.

What about the Fidelio X1?

havent looked at that pair ill read up
 and ive heard nothing but great things about the o2dac/amp
friend has one
  You can also consider Shure SRH-840. Closed Back headphones with good bass and still pretty natural and detailed sound. They come with extra pads and detacheable cable.

I was looking at the DT770 250 ohmz any insight you seem to know a lot about BD

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 16
  havent looked at that pair ill read up
 and ive heard nothing but great things about the o2dac/amp
friend has one
I was looking at the DT770 250 ohmz any insight you seem to know a lot about BD

I don't know much about DT770 but 250 Ohm Pro version is the one to pick if you are looking for a pretty neutral sound signature with good bass. On the other hand 80 Ohms versions have more bass quantity and are intended for people who want/need to focus on bass notes.

Most people tend to agree that they are not on pair with DT880/DT990 in terms of sound quality, refinement and soundstage/separation, but still very good sound quality being closed headphones. They probably beat DT880 and DT990 in the sub bass region.

Fidelio X1 are definitely laid back and dark sounding headphones in comparison. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a matter of tastes. I think X1s look really good! (Also open back = no isolation)

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 16
  I don't know much about DT770 but 250 Ohm Pro version is the one to pick if you are looking for a pretty neutral sound signature with good bass. On the other hand 80 Ohms versions have more bass quantity and are intended for people who want/need to focus on bass notes.

Most people tend to agree that they are not on pair with DT880/DT990 in terms of sound quality, refinement and soundstage/separation, but still very good sound quality being closed headphones. They probably beat DT880 and DT990 in the sub bass region.

Fidelio X1 are definitely laid back and dark sounding headphones in comparison. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a matter of tastes. I think X1s look really good! (Also open back = no isolation)

If i go BD i think the DT770 250 may be the way to go then, cause of bass, i emailed a local shop to see if they have any 990s in stock i can try, i heard theyre more base between the 880s? is this correct?

What would you recommend in the closed headphone area then? Have you tried the AIAIAI TMA-1 i really like theyre sound style buti need.... more from a headphone
theyre great on the train for isolation though

(really didnt like the look of the fid , for soem reason)

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 16
The 770 are great, but they are no 880 or 990. The soundstage of the open and semi-open BD's are on another level IME. But, if you need closed cans they are great. I use my 770's at work. I also got the "leather" pads from BD for my 770's and the bass gets better, but the soundstage suffers.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 16
  If i go BD i think the DT770 250 may be the way to go then, cause of bass, i emailed a local shop to see if they have any 990s in stock i can try, i heard theyre more base between the 880s? is this correct?

What would you recommend in the closed headphone area then? Have you tried the AIAIAI TMA-1 i really like theyre sound style buti need.... more from a headphone
theyre great on the train for isolation though

(really didnt like the look of the fid , for soem reason)

I haven't tried AIAIAI TMA-1 yet, but they measure pretty dark in comparison with Beyerdynamics and also have less sub bass.
I guess TMA-1 are more forgiving of poorly recorded material, also less detailed and less neutral.

It will probably take some hours (around 20) to your hearing/brain to get confortable with the new (brighter) sound. Trying headphones when you have the chance is always good but don't forget to consider that our hearing is really comparative, and having a dark headphone as a reference, some great sounding headphones can sound overly bright for you at first listen.

I think both DT770 PRO 250 Ohm and Shure SRH-840 are really enjoyable headphones and solid picks. DT770 have the edge on the sub bass region but it is also a bit brighter. You can also read about SoundMagic HP100, I've read only good things about them. You can't go wrong with any of this headphones.

Best Luck!

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 16
DT990 have definitely more bass than DT880, but don't get fooled with them, they don't fit well with most bassy music, they have amazing bass presentation, but they are really unforgiving headphones that simply sound thin and sibilant with most modern (non audiophile) recordings. If you plan getting the best recordings out there, (Telarc, Harmonia Mundi, etc.) most of them classical music and jazz, they can sound impressive, otherwise "Analytical and High Resolution headphones" is not a wise pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back