Looking for the best isolation in an IEM
Jul 3, 2011 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RTFD262

New Head-Fier
I've been trying to determine what the best IEM will be for traveling while still preserving sound.

I just recently upgraded from the Bose Tri-Ports to the new Bose AE-2's.  I love how they sound but they're not exactly the easiest things to sleep on a plane with.  The source of the music is a 3rd generation iPod touch with mostly 128-320 bit rate music.

I've recently started to add music to the library in a lossless format and definitely prefer the difference.  Of course that may have something to do with the fact that the original Mono recordings of the early Beatles music has a massively different sound than the reworked Stereo recordings.

So onto the real issue.....
I've been trying to research as much as possible and I think it's starting to all just hit a point that's a bit overwhelming.  I'm mostly between the Shure SE215 and the Etymotic ER6i.  But the Thinksound Rain also looked appealing.  I think wood body on the Rains is what appealed to me but it seems like they aren't going to provide the definition in the High's that I'm looking for or the isolation which is really paramount.

I listen to mostly Classic Rock, but recently I've been getting more into Jazz, Blues, and Mo-Town.  From what I've read and what sounds good, for what I listen to, the Low's and High's are the important ranges to be looking for.  That being said, I'm thinking the Shure's aren't really where I should be looking for the sound, but it seems like the isolation is hard to beat.  The numbers on the ER6i's seem to indicate that they'll isolate more and have a better response to my music preferences.

Comfort is also a major concern as some of the flights for work are from New Jersey to San Diego.  It seems that people find the black olives on the Shure's to be great.  I've also gathered that some people aren't too keen on the triple flanges on the ER6i's.

So what do you guys think?
What's going to be the most comfortable and most isolating IEM?  And could any EQ setting make up for any short comings on FR (i.e. setting the EQ to compensate for the SE215's emphasis on the mid range)?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Etymotic HF5s, ER6s (and others) are in your price range...and Ety's are known for their isolation.  Pretty deep insertion if you're okay with that...but once you've got em in, you're isolated.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm also in the market for IEMs that do an excellent job of noise isolating and sound great. But I'm down to spend more like $200-300 if that makes a difference. Although I've gotten the impression from other Head-fi threads that expensive IEMs dont' give much bang for the buck...

Any suggestions for where I should start looking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back