Looking for the best headphone amp I can get, for ~£500.
Dec 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kalavere

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, I'm looking to upgrade my iFi Nano iDSD to something with a bit more power. I've recently got a pair of Bayerdynamic DT 770's 250Ω and my little iDSD is running at 100% volume and I'm finding it a little lacking.

I currently have the Bayers and AKG K550, with plans to upgrade to the K702's, I love the AKG sound, it's very reminiscent to me of the Naim Hi-Fi I used to own.

I'm looking for something with USB input as my sound card doesn't support phono output, and the Jack size really isn't an issue. I've looked into the iDSD Micro as it's obviously very familiar, but I'd be very tempted to upgrade to the iUSB Power, then the rack and iFi products tend to look like they are on life support with leads going in and out the front and back, I don't really want that on my desk space. Ideally I'd like a one box solution.

Any help would be great. =)

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply Billybob, I was actually thinking of buying the Vali last night. I'm very drawn to Schiit for some reason. I was thinking of upgrading to the Bitfrost Über at a later date also.

I don't know that I like the idea of valves though, despite it being obscenely powerful; with that said Electromod aren't that far away from me, maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can arrange for a demo when they have a couple of amps in stock.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, just remember that there are two specs you will want to worry about - the amp's power output under load (I look at the output power in miliwatts at 32 ohms and 300 ohms), and the amp's gain. The gain is essentially the increase in volume (actually voltage), the output power is how much headroom the amp has to meet the demands of dynamic music sections.

Even the $99 Schiit Magni has considerably more power available than the iDSD. You could just get that and see whether you are on the right path.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 5
I spoke to Electomod in the UK today, I think I am going to go for the Shiit Lyr 2 and see how I get on. It's got a crazy amount of power at 32Ω and It's still kicking out more than 660mW at 300Ω more than enough to power my AKG and Bayer headphones. They should have some in stock the early part of next week so I might treat myself for Christmas, the iDSD on it's own is so lackluster, it's starting to annoy me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back