Looking for the BEST classical sound I can get for 50 bucks
Feb 22, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 30
you can always get Grados

but for gaming or movies closed headphones are the best especially if they are bass heavy
dunno why but that's just the way it is

it's just my opinion though

I think you should wait until more experienced people give their inputs as I've only been in this hobby for less than a couple of years but have auditioned many headphones and rigs

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, I think I better go with closed phones. I often listen to music in the library.

I auditioned the Denon D1001's sometime ago and they're quite decent for classical
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #18 of 30
Feb 26, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #19 of 30
I have done some research and I've decided that semi-open headphones are not the way to go since they generally still leak sound. This narrows my list down to just closed headphones.

I am willing to spend up to 100 bucks if the quality merits the price. What else can I add to my list??

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done some research and I've decided that semi-open headphones are not the way to go since they generally still leak sound. This narrows my list down to just closed headphones.

I am willing to spend up to 100 bucks if the quality merits the price. What else can I add to my list??

How loud exactly do you listen?
eek.gif

I've got fully open Grados and if my mom's in the same room as me while I'm listening she hears a slight buzz and that's it. But I listen pretty quiet.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 30
Open Grados are "loud" enough to be easily heard by someone else in a quiet room at near distance. This will not bode well in a library setting, no.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #22 of 30
Sennheiser HD428, quite versatile, loves Jazz, Classic and instrumentals. I listen to pretty much everything but the three genres I mentioned really suit it. A good burn is required even if the HD428 sounds good right away. The CAL!s can be a good option too but bass and loudness spoiled it for me.

The V6-es are good, but I enjoy my old Pioneers more for Classic.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How loud exactly do you listen?
eek.gif

I've got fully open Grados and if my mom's in the same room as me while I'm listening she hears a slight buzz and that's it. But I listen pretty quiet.

he's talking about listening in the library. Major difference between that and your mom in the room doing stuff.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 30
Okay, so closed, decent for classical, under $100:

If you want to go super budget, Sennheiser HD201's aren't bad at all for classical (their main problem is unamped rock, where they're not quite energetic enough unamped). They can be had for anywhere from $15 to $30.

JVC HARX700's are pretty decent for classical as well. They can often be had on ebay for like $30.

Those are the two "budget" closed headphones that I would say performed adequately enough for classical.

To get much of a step up in closed, unamped for classical in a closed headphone, you're going to have to make a MAJOR jump in price to something like a Denon D5000.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 30
Sennheiser HD428/HD438/HD448
Shure 440
Sony MDR 7506 (Not the V6!)
Sony MDR V900 (Earlier version according to some, a used one can be cheap.)
Just some other options...

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR 7506 (Not the V6!)

Why not the V6? It sounds perfectly good to me.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #30 of 30
It is good, yet my Pioneers sound better, really better. It's the ears and what's between them that make me prefer certain sounds and products.

I just thought, the 7506 is somewhat more balanced due to it being improved for the studio and nothing more really. ljokerl you do have a point there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back