Looking for the best cheap pair of 2.0 speakers I can get...
Jun 29, 2006 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kameleon

500+ Head-Fier
At work this summer I'm going to be bringing in my Karma for us to listen to music from, but I'm not prepared to listen to my beautifully ripped music through the tape-adaptor-into-80s-boombox setup that seems to be standard fare. I'll probably be leaving them at work as it'd be too much hassle to keep taking them away and bringing them back, and there are two shifts so the other lot will probably want to use them as well. With this in mind, here are my requirements:

1) 2.0, I had a 2.1 setup in last year and there were enough complaints from my boss about the sub's bass echoing throughout the production floor that I don't think it's a good idea again.

2) Self-powered, a T-amp and mini bookshelves would be nice but it's a bit too flashy and would probably get destroyed/fiddled with at some point by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Also probably too expensive.

3) Cheap, I've gotta be prepared for the fact that they might go missing or get damaged no matter how much I write my name on them and cable-tie them to posts, so I'd like to keep the price around £50 or less.

4) Available in the UK.

Obviously I want the best sound quality possible with these requirements in mind. I've looked at consumer-oriented reviews but in the end most consumer reviews will say that all of the speakers they review sound good, when I know this isn't true. Can I have some audiophile input? From what I've read so far the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0s seem to be in the lead but they retail for about £70 over here which is more than I'd really like to pay, is there a set out there with similar sound quality for cheaper? Or something considerably cheaper that may not sound quite as good but is a total bargain for the price?

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
2) Self-powered

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
4) Available in the UK

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 7
Hey, I know the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.0 is a little more than what you want to spend, but I think you need to get these. I have listened to these many times next to other speakers and I just can't find another 2.0 set of speakers below a 100 American dollars that can even compete with the Klipsch.

You can use them as computer speakers, Ipod speakers, etc. and you just won't be disappointed. They are even fairly portable.

Take care, Ed.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by biged
Hey, I know the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.0 is a little more than what you want to spend, but I think you need to get these. I have listened to these many times next to other speakers and I just can't find another 2.0 set of speakers below a 100 American dollars that can even compete with the Klipsch.

You can use them as computer speakers, Ipod speakers, etc. and you just won't be disappointed. They are even fairly portable.

Take care, Ed.

Have you heard the Creative Gigaworks T20? I think this is my current choice, I've heard really good things despite it being Creative.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 7
No I haven't. Good luck and if you get the Creative's, write a review and let us know what you think.

Take care, Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back