Looking for the best bang for the buck upgrade ($2-4k)
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JoeinLA

New Head-Fier
I have $2-$4k to blow on an upgrade for my headphone setup. Obviously I'd prefer to spend closer to $2k, but I will pay for the superior experience. Would like to buy new but would consider used. ALL OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS/THOUGHTS welcomed.

I'm currently running Fostex TH-900 and Senn HD800 with Headroom "Maxx'ed". I concede the HD800's are technically better, but I enjoy the TH-900's much more. Music: Mozart (only classical I like but I LOVE and listen 50%) and Queen/GnR/Metallica/etc (angry young man 80's music.

Sources: Only 2: Spotify (HiFI) when listening to random favorites. Foobar (FLAC rips) when seriously listening.

My recent experiences:

Headroom: thought this was D-Shiznit until:

Woo Firefly (w/power supply): AMAZING with TH900's but not sure with HD800.

Woo WA22 - almost transcendental with HD800s, but not sure about TH-900's. I might say the Firefly was better with the TH-900.

Mc MHA100 / Moon 430HA: Crystal clear perfection (I think the Moon was better than the Mc) with the TH900, but almost "sterile" (I hate that word but it really does fit) with the HD800's (and TH900's). I think I prefer the Woo Firely with the TH900's and WA22 with HD800's).

OK. I have up to $2-4k to waste on a headphone experience upgrade. I'll spend for perfection but not looking to waste money...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 3
Do you also have speakers? If so, then I recommend getting the Schiit Freya for all of your amps:

http://www.schiit.com/products/freya

that way, you can get accustomed to “tube rolling”, or trying out new tubes to get the sound you want. Once you have tubes you like, then you can move on to dedicated tube headphone amplifiers, all while not wasting money, like you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back