Looking for the best amped portable player.
Oct 4, 2007 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RIDE

100+ Head-Fier
Hey gang,

I've been scouring the site for quite a while now...and once my blurred vision goes away, I should be back to normal
wink.gif

Anyway...I am looking to get a new portable player/amp/ IE headphone set up...and am really stuck on which player to get. The more I read, the more I wonder which will actually work best with amps and which won't. Size is not as critical...and will not sway my decision.

My choices are down to the following:

Cowon D2 - 8G and expandable
iRiver Clix 2 - great screen...what else?
iPod - old stand by...great amped?
iMod - seems great...but have not read as much about it.
??? - am I missing anything?

My amp choice will be either a SR-71 or Tomahawk, Pico, or maybe even a LISA III
smily_headphones1.gif
Just in case that matters.

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

RIDE

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 9
You should only get the Clix 2 and Cowon if you want to compromise a bit of sound for true portability. If you want the very BEST amped sound regardless of sound, get a iMod.
I used to have a iMod photo until I broke the motherboard in it but what I got out of it sounded a whole lot better than anything else I've tried.
If I had money to spend on another iMod, I would buy a Portable Vcap iMod System from aloaudio.com

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 9
Especially if size is not critical, the 5.5G iMod + ALO VCap portable dock + another amp would be the way to go. I never heard it, but based on the comments on the improvements over the 4G iMod line-out, I think that package is the true non compromise solution.

Of course you can then add transportable amps like the Portable Desktop from Headroom, since you don't need sheer portability.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Another vote for an iMOD when there's no compromise in sound allowed.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Well that was easy!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Spent the last hour + reading up more on the iMod and there is truthfully no other choice! While they are out of stock now, I will go buy an iPod and send it their way soon.

Thanks guys for the tip...which led me to do the research! Much appreciated!

RIDE

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by acp6s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go with the cowon man. if you had the experience with their products they are superior in sound and battery life and easy to use.

So you have heard the vCap portable + iMod 5.5G and still determined Cowon (what model??) is better? That's the first I've heard, and it would be a killer.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you have heard the vCap portable + iMod 5.5G and still determined Cowon (what model??) is better? That's the first I've heard, and it would be a killer.

Oh god I hope not, I have that combo coming in to replace my D2
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back