Looking for the absolute best bass EXTENSION of a can (sub $500 ish)
Feb 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DeeLuxx

New Head-Fier
Been looking to get a new set of cans for a while and after reading many reviews ect im still undecided.

What im after more than anything is bass extension, as opposed to bass quantity.

I listen to mainly electronica as well as other stuff (shoegaze/indie) and a TON of dubstep and what really gets me is that a can never seems to be able to give you the kind of bass that extends low enough.

Im looking for that really deep bass feeling, like a blanket wraping around you, or the feeling of steeping infront of an ac unit.... you get what i mean haha

I know i'll get attacked for posting a youtube link to a song but its one of the better songs i know that has really good sub bass samples and effects, i really like how this song uses so many different depts of bass at once (and youtube quality going to affect higher freqs more than anything so its fine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFd_QD6fyUQ

The song is "Who the **** are you" by Dillon Francis SKIP TO 1:05 FOR A GOOD SUB BASS SAMPLE

Please download it if you would like to hear more detail and give me a better idea of the kind of can im looking for!

Headphones ive considered have been; dt990 600ohm (though not really a fan of the v response curve), AD2000, Sony SA5000 (heard very mixed opinions about the bass and not a fan of the leakage), along with others..

As always thanks in advance for the help

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 14
Is that what's passing for dubstep these days? Take me back to 2006 when it was good!
tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I think headphones struggle with dubstep and are only useful as an alternative to annoying your neighbours with a subwoofer. Still, I'd recommend some Denons like the D2000 or D5000 (are these under $500?) for good sub-bass performance. Or just get an XB500/700 (ignore the XB1000) and be done with it.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 14
i find the Audio Technica Pro700mk2 great for all Electronic music. Checkout the review

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the usefull info!

Yea seem to be leaning towards the denons now so i'll just see if i can get some cheap ones of the trade forum perhaps.

How do orthodynamic headphones do for low bass?

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Heya,

Denon D5000. With authority. Excellent for everything, but has amazing low end sub-bass, and is just a luxury to wear and look at. I'm a dub/basshead as well and the D5000 is my end-game electronic headphone (out of many). I even prefer it's sub-bass presentation over the Ultrasone PRO 900 which I found to be mostly mid-bass and too bright of treble. Denon just did it better and was way more comfortable.

Cheaper: M-Audio Q40.

Very best,

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 14
I really enjoy dubstep and glitch hop out of my Denon 2000s.  The sub bass is really quite good, using these headphones I was able to determine that I can hear down to 18 Hertz.  the other thing is that the bass is balanced, a feature not common among "bassy" headphones.

and the dubstep I listen to is not the flux pavillion/doctor p screaming "clubstep."  Its more like laid back seismic frequency dubstep.  Stuff that really pumps from 20-30hz.

EDIT: dubstep like this, be sure to set quality to 480p for better sq (bass drops at 0:50) :

http://youtu.be/-fEFE0JbwkA

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Hahaha clubstep

But yea i know what you mean (dare i mention skrillex and dubstep in the same sentence?)

but yea been looking at the d5000 for a time but at the moment its simply too expensive...

Any other suggestions? maybe some less common cans?

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 14
+1 D5000... or D2000 if the first choice is too expensive for you.

I own the Pro900 from Ultrasone and they are great too... but I too would agree that after trying the D5000 with deep sub-bass songs they really shine in that department.

BTW, I really enjoyed listening to the earlier posted Lurka song. Thank you for posting. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 14
I think the experience you're looking for is best left to a subwoofer. It's not bass extenson you're after, pretty much any decent headphone (especially a closed set) is going to reproduce 20 hz. Just run a low frequency sweep through them and you'll see. What you want is visceral impact which is one of the biggest trade offs with headphones. No headphone is going to wrap you in a bass blanket as you put it. 

Sorry if that isn't ideal but in order to get that feeling your entire body needs to be exposed to the low frequency sound waves, not just your ears.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 14
Said well my mate! Nothing beats good subwoofer! That said my Pro700mk2 are great at deep bass but my next set will be the ultras ones PRO 900

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 14

Great so the advice for headphones is get a subwoofer. . .

Quote:
+1 D5000... or D2000 if the first choice is too expensive for you.

I own the Pro900 from Ultrasone and they are great too... but I too would agree that after trying the D5000 with deep sub-bass songs they really shine in that department.

BTW, I really enjoyed listening to the earlier posted Lurka song. Thank you for posting. 

No problem,  here's another chiller, maybe not quite as earth-moving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHtgggD4v4  it's from the same album as the Lurka song, just google Dubstep Dubplates Live Beyond

I had always thought dubstep was for relaxing. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back