Looking for that "Wow" headphone for my tastes
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Arion

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I haven't visited head fi in a while but I wanted to come back and ask for some advice. Thus far on my headphone journey I have yet to have that "wow" moment with any of genre of music besides Pop and electronic (with the M100) but now I am looking for that more with Rock and indie music. I have a budget of about $300 and was considering picking up another amp if that will also help. I know what makes anyone have a "wow" moment is completely subjective but I am just looking for more of a general consensus on the matter.

Thanks,

Arion

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 17
My library consists of about 90% rock of all varieties and classic metal.  I didn't really get the "wow moment" with rock/metal until I got the Grado SR325is.  I have previously owned the SRH840, DT880, HD600, and HE-400.  The SR325is is definitely bright and prone to sibilance with certain recordings, but it delivers a fast, energetic, and in-your-face type of sound that I never heard before.  This is why I love the way it makes my music sound (not to mention that it sounds good with the other genres that I sometimes listen to).  It also makes electric guitars sound absolutely fantastic.  As long as you are alright with a bright sound, I would recommend either a new SR325e or a used 325/i/is if you want to save some money.  A lot of people here recommend various Grado headphones for rock/metal, and there is a reason for that.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 17
My library consists of about 90% rock of all varieties and classic metal.  I didn't really get the "wow moment" with rock/metal until I got the Grado SR325is.  I have previously owned the SRH840, DT880, HD600, and HE-400.  The SR325is is definitely bright and prone to sibilance with certain recordings, but it delivers a fast, energetic, and in-your-face type of sound that I never heard before.  This is why I love the way it makes my music sound (not to mention that it sounds good with the other genres that I sometimes listen to).  It also makes electric guitars sound absolutely fantastic.  As long as you are alright with a bright sound, I would recommend either a new SR325e or a used 325/i/is if you want to save some money.  A lot of people here recommend various Grado headphones for rock/metal, and there is a reason for that.

Thanks for the response,

Based on your description it definitely sounds like its worth checking out. I was actually just looking at 225e's so I'm glad I might be going in the right direction. If you have heard the 225's would you be able to tell me how they differ from the 325's?

Thanks,

Arion

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 17

I hear on a consistent basis.that the SR325is is exceptional with rock and metal, more often than any other headphone. I just wonder how it compares to the high-end flagship models.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 17
I hear on a consistent basis.that the SR325is is exceptional with rock and metal, more often than any other headphone. I just wonder how it compares to the high-end flagship models.

That's what I have been reading, but apparently some people prefer the 225i's due to them being less bright. But I may have found a couple local stores that sell Grado so I'm hoping I will be able to audition them.

Thanks,

Arion

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 17
I haven't visited head fi in a while but I wanted to come back and ask for some advice. Thus far on my headphone journey I have yet to have that "wow" moment with any of genre of music besides Pop and electronic (with the M100) but now I am looking for that more with Rock and indie music.

Can you tell us more about that "journey?" What other equipment you have tried? What other equipment you own (DAPs, audio source, amps, etc.)?

Based on your description it definitely sounds like its worth checking out. I was actually just looking at 225e's so I'm glad I might be going in the right direction. If you have heard the 225's would you be able to tell me how they differ from the 325's?

I have not heard the 325s, but based on all the comparisons I have read by Grado owners, the difference is mainly brighter treble, probably due to the metal cups vs. the plastic ones (the drivers are apparently the same). Some owners said that they preferred the 225, which are indeed bright enough, IMO.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 17
Can you tell us more about that "journey?" What other equipment you have tried? What other equipment you own (DAPs, audio source, amps, etc.)?

Yea for sure, thus far I have tried the M-100's and the Ultrasone Pro 2900. I really love the M-100's for electronic music but I find with the recessed mids and the lack of sparkle and detail in the mids and highs I don't find them as enjoyable for other genres with at home listening as I find they really shine as portable headphones. And with the Ultrasone Pro 2900's I found them a little too revealing (really brought out bad mixes) for my tastes and found them to be more analytical than I would have liked when I first listened to them. They were my first "audiophile" headphone and I was a little underwhelmed by them.

As far as sources go I have a MacBook Air and HRT Music streamer II+ and for amps I have a ZO2.3 and a schiit Asgard.

And as far as the Grados go I'm trying to find a store that sells them so I can try them out and see which one I prefer between the 225 and 325.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 17
And as far as the Grados go I'm trying to find a store that sells them so I can try them out and see which one I prefer between the 225 and 325.

If you like the 225, let me know. I have a used pair for sale on the trade forums here on Head-Fi.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 17
Yea for sure.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling the headphones? Just want to make sure they aren't bad of anything haha.

(a) I have too many headphones (lol). See my profile.
(b) I have tinnitus, and while I like the sound of headphones with stronger more aggressive mids and highs, it irritates the tinnitus. If this was 20 years ago, I wouldn't be getting rid of them :)

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 17
(a) I have too many headphones (lol). See my profile.
(b) I have tinnitus, and while I like the sound of headphones with stronger more aggressive mids and highs, it irritates the tinnitus. If this was 20 years ago, I wouldn't be getting rid of them :)

Ahh makes sense. I see you also have the HE-400's which I also looked at. How do they compare to the Grados for rock and indie music?

Thanks,

Arion

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Ahh makes sense. I see you also have the HE-400's which I also looked at. How do they compare to the Grados for rock and indie music?

Thanks,

Arion

The mids on the HE-400s are not their strongest point. Grado renders guitar better. Even the SR80i (which my son has) I enjoy more for rock.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 17
The mids on the HE-400s are not their strongest point. Grado renders guitar better. Even the SR80i (which my son has) I enjoy more for rock.

I definitely agree with this.  The bass on the HE-400 is absolutely phenomenal, but it simply doesn't compete with the SR325is when it comes to guitars (especially electric).  The HE-400 isn't bad for rock, but I definitely prefer the SR325is.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 17
I got a chance to demo the 225i, 80i, and PS500 and I definitely do like the Grado sound signature. So far I am leaning towards the 225i's but I'm still hoping I can find a place to demo the 325's.

Thanks,

Arion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back