Looking for tangle free, low fatigue IEMs with microphone to replace my cx300s...
May 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ChoppedBroccoli

Head-Fier
I generally like my cx-300's. The overall sound is definitely bit bass heavy, and the mids are recessed, and it lacks sparkle. While those are not the best characteristics for sound, what it does lend itself to is low fatigue experience - I can crank up the volume and avoid extreme sparkle and they aren't sybilant at all. In some weird twist, I've actually grown to enjoy the cx300's, even though they sound nothing like my grado sr80's :p

There are two main problems with the cx300's for me:
(1) They tangle like crazy. I can't put them in my pocket without getting all kinds of knots in em. Related - the cord is super rubbery and thin.
(2) No mic to use with a phone.

My girlfriend just got a set of meelectronics m9p's. I love the construction, they fit well, and have a mic. My only complaint is that, while they are certainly more open and have better sparkle/mids than my cx300's, I can't seem to get past the slightly more fatiguing nature of their sound. Perhaps it will get better from burn in, but I'm not sure. 

So I've started looking at the SoundMagic MP-21. They are supposed to be slightly more bass heavy and warmer which might make an easier transition coming from the cx300. But I am concerned on their day to day use if they are at all tangle prone like the cx300's - i find that untangling the cx300 often makes me avoid listening to music altogether sometimes :frowning2:
Because the klipsch image s2m are available at best buy, im going to pick those up to try in person for a few days (since I cant really do that with the rest of these smaller brand IEMs).

The melectronics m11p might be another option instead of the m9p, though I worry they lose bass response due to the smaller driver?

Nuforce ne-7m are also being considered though the quality concerns described on some of the 3 star or lower amazon reviews regarding the cable scare me. Also they are on the higher end of the budget. I don't generally mind paying $50, but I need them to be pretty durable - I'm looking for new everyday IEMs and if they break/get lost etc I might feel a bit bitter about losing $50 cans vs $20 ones :wink:

Thoughts/suggestions? Will the M9p get less fatiguing after burn-in?

May 25, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 9
The Apple In-Ear Earphones Current Generation

Apple has one very mean IEM with an integrated microphone.  I normally use these with my New Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 cell with very clear audio and an equally clear mic reception. 

The Apple IEM w/Mic features two drivers in each ear piece with very smooth audio response and excellent soundstage representation.  I listen to jazz and classical music through an amp and ipod Touch so I have to say that audio quality is very impressive. 

Hope this helps

May 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Those might be getting out of my everyday IEM budget (those start out at $60 or so right?).

May 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 9
If I am not wrong the PL21 has the same cable as my PL30 and I have no problems with the PL30 which is great considering I don't take care of it. I am pretty much testing its endurance whenever I use them and afterwards since I just throw them wherever after use and don't put it in a case or anything.

the ADDIEM (apple dual driver) goes for around $35 or so on ebay. I forget what the ebay name of the seller is but I believe it is 4dime or something like that.

May 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 9
The MP21 is a good option for you. They aren't as bassy as the M9s and are far more laid-back at the top. The cable is not as good as the Meelec cords but perfectly usable IMO. I hated the CX300 cable too.

The ADDIEM will probably be too bass-light after the CX300s. 

May 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Good to hear the MP21's cord are tangle free and get the job done (yes the CX300 cord drives me crazy! :D )
Interesting to hear the MP21s aren't as bassy as the M9s - is it a big difference? The M9 bass was definitely fine by me (I wouldn't want to lose much on that end).

I agree the ADDIEM is probably going to leave me hungry for more bass.

I think the consensus on the boards is that nobody sells fake SoundMagics, but I'll throw this out there just to double check/let you guys know of a possible nice deal:
http://www.focalprice.com/result_keywordsmp21_1_0.html

$17 shipped for the black mp21s (the 'genuine' pink ones are $25 - go figure?)

Does anybody have a comparison opinion between the m11 and mp21/pl21?

Quote:
The MP21 is a good option for you. They aren't as bassy as the M9s and are far more laid-back at the top. The cable is not as good as the Meelec cords but perfectly usable IMO. I hated the CX300 cable too.

The ADDIEM will probably be too bass-light after the CX300s. 

May 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Hrm that link didn't work, hopefully this will:
http://www.focalprice.com/EP222B/MP21_Inear_Headphones_with_Mic_Black.html

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 9
reporting back here...received my mp21 from focalprice last week. package was smushed, but otherwise everything was fine (shipping time was about 10 days). great price at $18 including registered airmail.

The cable is slightly rubbery, but no where near the cx300. Compared to the cx300 its more stiff/plastic-y and doesn't tangle. I haven't had a major tangle situation yet, if that changes during day to day use ill update the review.

There are plethora of rigid foam (3 sets) and silicone tips (4 sets), a cable guide set, and a mic/stereo plug splitter. Unfortunately, none of the tips were perfect. None of the silicone tips fit well and they also didn't really hide the nozzle from the ear - meaning the nozzle still felt hard and uncomfortable through them. The small silicones were to small, and the medium and bigger ones didn't fit in my ear at all. The foam tips were better seals, but similar problem - the medium and large didnt fit at all. The small foam tips fit best, but still werent sealing (I could cup my ears with them in and get SIGNFICANTLY increased bass response). The foam tips also seemed to darken an already warm/dark sounding set.

Had to give up testing them out for a bit until I got other tips (my cx300 tips didn't fit - the mp21 nozzles are too small). Went to BestBuy and picked up the Sony Hybrids for $8, and immediately got an instant AND perfect seal with the large and extra large tips (stuck with the large tips). Perfect seal, very impressive isolation...these tips are great :D When I cup my ears I no longer had a difference in bass response (I was already getting max bass response with the new sony hybrid tips).

Onto how they sound : these headphones are as billed, a great, evolutionary step up from the cx300. With the right tips they have the great bass response of the cx300 - I think both have the same quantity of bass. The mp21 do have a bit better definition on the low end, and might even hit a bit lower frequencies than the cx300. The mids are quite forward with the mp21 (especially the lower mids) and this is a huge difference/upgrade from the cx300. The mp21 do seem to lack the high treble sparkle, but it doesn't affect enjoyment of the music. It also ensures there is no sibilance/shrillness, meaning hours and hours of fatigue free listening. The pronounced mids on the mp21 help set up a nice near forward soundstage, another big upgrade over the cx300. The cx300 seem to 'fake' any sort of soundstage by bumping up the lower to mid treble frequencies along with the bass response while omitting most of the mids. The mp21 seem to do it the right way, with better mid response in harmony with the bass response and treble response.

So far my only places where the mp21 can improve are a slightly more airy soundstage and a tinge more sparkle in the high end (but not sacrificing their fatigue/sibilance free characteristics). To my ears, the mp21s did a fantastic job with frequencies 30-5k. I'd like a small boost between 5-12k, to complement the bottom/mid harmony. Some of the soundstage issues might be improved over some burn in, but I don't expect to magically uncover any sparkle over time.

Compared to the M9s, the MP21s seem to have better bass response and a far smoother sound signature. The M9 do have more sparkle but at the expense of fatigue/sibilance (too much for me). The M9 just sounded too busy - the strong bass response and the strong treble response didn't mesh well and made the music just kind of jumble together at times. The MP21 on the other hand sticks to the frequencies it does best and just seems to say 'crank up the music and enjoy it for hours on end'. The M9 does however, beat the MP21 already good/adequate cable, with the best cable in its class (and even other classes).

Also, a +1 experience with the Sony Hybrid tips. I'll have to retest my gf's M9 with the hybrids to see if it changes the sound signature (though I don't expect it to, I already got a good seal on the M9).

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the update. Very nice in-depth impressions. I'm sure they'll be helpful to anyone else in a similar situation. Also, good going on the Hybrids. The Hybrids and the standard Jays tips worked best for me with the PL21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back